There is a strong investor component to this project... I've heard that of the 352 units in the project that approximately 250 are already sold during the preview sales and the public launch is planned for June 9. Occupancy is planned for early 2011. The project is averaging $1,000psf. Construction could start this year given the very strong response from investors and I would think that many more units will be snapped up following the public opening in a couple of weeks.

Interesting that the presentation centre is at 200 University on the 3rd floor. It would seem that they are planning to fore go the usual on site sales office/presentation centre like Ritz, Trump, Four Seasons ect. The email I just received, copy below.

"TORONTO LOVES LIVING SHANGRI-LA
202 of 352 Homes Sold in the first 60 days

Open House This Weekend Only
When: Saturday & Sunday (June 9 & 10)
Time: 12-5pm, No appointment necessary.
Where: Living Shangri-La Toronto Presentation Centre
3rd Floor, 200 University Avenue

Complimentary valet parking is available!
Drinks and Hors d'oeuvres will be served.

There are many great homes are still available.
One and Two bedroom Residences starting from $800,000
Two and Three Bedroom Estates with Private Two Car Garages from $2,300,000"

With 202 of 353 units already sold why bother to construct a sales centre on site. They obviously intend to start construction before next spring is over. That gives them a three year build time to early 2011 occupancy.

I know this group (Westbank) and they don't mess around. They just get things done. I met the VP at the Azure launch in Dallas a couple of years ago. He was there with Chen. That's were I learned of the Shangri La expansion plans into London UK, Chicago, Vancouver, and Toronto. With Chen designing the Canadian hotels.

I would expect Four Seasons to be under construction by early next year as well.

Raffles also could be in the mix for a 2008 start if their deal with Tridel goes through.

Raffles also could be in the mix for a 2008 start if their deal with Tridel goes through.

well, there you go! :D

^^they come to Canada to Vancity because of the upcoming games and I guess it makes sense to stick around awhile and build somethin' here too

there's already a shangri la in toronto

In Parkdale no less! Was walking queen st w and for the first time the name of a convenience store struck me as funny: shangri la convenience. Who has the rights to the name in toronto? Too funny imho.

Shangri-la is a word. It's in the public domain. No one can own the rights to a word. There would only be an issue if they were calling the store the Shangri-la Hotel.

The brochure for the apartments came in the mail yesterday. Pretty - they have the best PR people on it. I can't imagine why anyone would pay upwards from $800 K to live at Adelaide & University though.

Back