Well 3XN is already doing two of the Aquas at EBF; Foster is signed up for 3C next door. We do need something a little iconic to anchor the area though.

AoD

Agreed -- I think the most easterly of the 3XN buildings (they really should have named them more distinctly) and The Arbour will get us some of the way there but stop just shy of "iconic." Attention turns next to the 3C and Sidewalk sites for the next shot, followed by the actual buildings to-come in the Portlands proper, in terms of ordering.

Agreed -- I think the most easterly of the 3XN buildings (they really should have named them more distinctly) and The Arbour will get us some of the way there but stop just shy of "iconic." Attention turns next to the 3C and Sidewalk sites for the next shot, followed by the actual buildings to-come in the Portlands proper, in terms of ordering.

Something along the lines of (in terms of presence) like Snohetta's Oslo Opera House is what I have in mind.

AoD

Ørestad has that empty feel primarily because most of the land is still undeveloped - the few more developed sections feel much denser and more urban.

Ørestad has that empty feel primarily because most of the land is still undeveloped - the few more developed sections feel much denser and more urban.
I found that even in the more developed areas, the buildings didn't address the street as well as I would have liked. They felt more like epic sculptures (very beautiful sculptures!) plopped down next to each other.

It's a little hard to get a decent angle at these sites but there are some clearing activities going on.

From Don Roadway and Villiers St.
20180826_174907_HDR_resized.jpg

For reference from a year ago:
https://goo.gl/maps/jLTBsh84zNH2

From Don Roadway and Commissioners St.
20180826_175347_HDR_resized.jpg

On the south side of Commissioners east of Cherry.

20180826_175659_HDR_resized.jpg

For comparison from a year ago:
https://goo.gl/maps/TU75PzsKbdk

Attachments

• 20180826_174907_HDR_resized.jpg
    20180826_174907_HDR_resized.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 547
  • 20180826_175347_HDR_resized.jpg
    20180826_175347_HDR_resized.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 523
  • 20180826_175659_HDR_resized.jpg
    20180826_175659_HDR_resized.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 550
My understanding is that they're being kept as a heritage element.
I saw they still appeared in a rendering of the project on WT site but they do not seem to be specifically mentioned in the EA. They are certainly not Listed and I must say I wonder why they should remain or what they could be used for.

UPDATE: I got this info from WT today: "The silos are a designated heritage structure and will be preserved. They won’t be adapted as part of this project. The Villiers Island Precinct Plan identified the silos as a structure to be adapted for a future use, but there’s currently no decision as to what that use could be."
The 2004 Council decision reads:

(1) City Council include on the City of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties the following four properties located in the Port Lands Industrial Area of the Central Waterfront:
(i) 29 Basin Street (Sun Oil Company Building)
(ii) 242-292 Cherry Street (Marine Terminal 35 and Atlas Crane)
(iii) 312 Cherry Street (Century Oil Company) (The Heritage Register calls it the Century Coal Company)
(iv) 62 Villiers Street (Toronto Harbour Commissioners Storage Building

Back