I wonder if they'll make it a big, dramatic event - it'll literally be "opening the floodgates"!
No, they want the water to flow into the new river valley slowly so they actually open the Lake Ontario end of the new river first. Only when the new valley is filled will they remove the plug between the old Villiers route and the new one.

At some point won't the riverbed start accumulating water just from runoff and snowmelt and rain and such? Especially since the riverbed is plugged on both ends? Or are they actively dewatering the site?

At some point won't the riverbed start accumulating water just from runoff and snowmelt and rain and such? Especially since the riverbed is plugged on both ends? Or are they actively dewatering the site?
You can see water in Northern Light's photos of the riverbed. It looks shallow enough to evaporate, but I don't know what would happen in snowmelt time.

Probably but their plan is to open it up so it fills slowly. Relying on rainfall will NOT fill it.

Oh, I know they'd need a lot more than rainwater to fill that thing up, and I get opening the lake side first as preferable. I guess I'm more curious what it must be like for the construction crews, if they need to deal with increasingly aquatic conditions as the earthscaping proceeds

From my flight into the Island Airport this morning:

IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG

As it stands, M Louis is bound for Sydney Nova Scotia and is south of Halifax. No indication it pulling anything

The Beverly is bound for St Johns and south of Halifax.

Looks like the move will be in July/Aug now if the bridge is not with M Louis

Dumb question: once the new Cherry Street is complete, will the current alignment be demolished?

Not entirely, part of the existing alignment will remain as "old Cherry St." I believe.

AoD

I hope that Centre st. is going to be a lively spot with cafe's, shops, restaurants etc. With the bridge delay you have to wonder at what point are they going to need to order the New Munition St. bridge, probably not for a long time still I would assume.

M Lois should be in Halifax shortly. Maybe the weekend for the move.

The Beverly is still in St John NB

Back