STADIUM Proj: 9135077-1
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON CONTEMPLATED
RL Hearn site, Portlands, M5V
$50,000,000 est
Note: This project is extremely preliminary. The site selection is ongoing. How an architect will be secured is undetermined. Schedules for design, tender and construction have not been set. Further update winter 2011.
Project: proposed construction of a NFL stadium on the site of the abandoned RL Hearn generating plant in the Portlands on Toronto's Waterfront. The project would include demolition of the existing building and reuse of some of the existing foundation.
Development: New
Category: Recreational bldgs
Owner's representative Waterfront Toronto, 20 Bay St Suite 1310, Toronto ON M5J 2N8, Phone: 416-214-1344 Fax: 416-214-4598; Tari Stork
This report Wed Apr 27, 2011.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think they missed a zero or two in that estimate. Once this proposal becomes general public knowledge, I think we'll be seeing opposition to it, like we haven't seen since the Spadina Expressway. The public was robbed of hundreds of millions of dollars to have the Sky Dome built. I don't think they'll let it happen again. Not to mention the traffic problems and 1000's parking spots that will have to be provided because of the lack of public transit in the area. Yep, I forsee the biggest public demonstrations in TO's history.

I'm guessing if it is built, it'll no doubt, be called Ford Stadium. A monument to Rob's love of the game and the car.

My personal feeling, is that an NFL team would fail in Toronto, within 3 years. Then what would we do with the stadium? Oh, yeah, sell it for 1/10 of what it cost to build and watch it rust.

Last edited:
STADIUM Proj: 9135077-1
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON CONTEMPLATED
RL Hearn site, Portlands, M5V
$50,000,000 est
Note: This project is extremely preliminary. The site selection is ongoing. How an architect will be secured is undetermined. Schedules for design, tender and construction have not been set. Further update winter 2011.
Project: proposed construction of a NFL stadium on the site of the abandoned RL Hearn generating plant in the Portlands on Toronto's Waterfront. The project would include demolition of the existing building and reuse of some of the existing foundation.
Development: New
Category: Recreational bldgs
Owner's representative Waterfront Toronto, 20 Bay St Suite 1310, Toronto ON M5J 2N8, Phone: 416-214-1344 Fax: 416-214-4598; Tari Stork
This report Wed Apr 27, 2011.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think they missed a zero or two in that estimate. Once this proposal becomes general public knowledge, I think we'll be seeing opposition to it, like we haven't seen since the Spadina Expressway. The public was robbed of hundreds of millions of dollars to have the Sky Dome built. I don't think they'll let it happen again. Not to mention the traffic problems and 1000's parking spots that will have to be provided because of the lack of public transit in the area. Yep, I forsee the biggest public demonstrations in TO's history.

I'm guessing if it is built, it'll no doubt, be called Ford Stadium. A monument to Rob's love of the game and the car.

My personal feeling, is that an NFL team would fail in Toronto, within 3 years. Then what would we do with the stadium? Oh, yeah, sell it for 1/10 of what it cost to build and watch it rust.
I dont know. Toronto fans are fickle but not bad. We all like winners. Then again, I would like to see better support for the Jays.

And it can't be call ford stadium. The name will be corporate, and that could go to construction costs.

I dont know. Toronto fans are fickle but not bad. We all like winners. Then again, I would like to see better support for the Jays.

And it can't be call ford stadium. The name will be corporate, and that could go to construction costs.

How about Rogers Stadium? ;)

People that live in the downtown core do care. Few of them want that on our waterfront. Huge parking lots do not make good waterfront neighbourhoods. Do we really want to bring more cars to our waterfront? CRAZY!

When a handfull of Bluff eastenders can stop a windmill project two KMs out in the lake. I'm guessing the 60,000 Riverdale, Leslieville and Beaches residents will be up in arms about the traffic chaos a stadium will cause in their neighbourhoods. Not to mention the birders on the spit and dog walkers at Cherry beach. Don't mess with those birders!!

People that live in the downtown core do care. Few of them want that on our waterfront. Huge parking lots do not make good waterfront neighbourhoods. Do we really want to bring more cars to our waterfront? CRAZY!

When a handfull of Bluff eastenders can stop a windmill project two KMs out in the lake. I'm guessing the 60,000 Riverdale, Leslieville and Beaches residents will be up in arms about the traffic chaos a stadium will cause in their neighbourhoods. Not to mention the birders on the spit and dog walkers at Cherry beach. Don't mess with those birders!!

Hey I don't want a waterfront stadium either. But Ford does. He never does anything properly.

Do we know for sure there would be at-grade parking? I doubt the zoning would permit that sort of thing, let alone the residents.

I think you're forgetting about the tailgate parties.

Benstailgate.JPG

Back