Looking at this future development map from the presentation, I guess as romantic as the whole project has seemed so far, we should be under no illusion that the City is building High Park Part II or Brickworks Part II, this will be CityPlace Part II or Liberty Village Part II with some nice bridges and river running through it.
It will not be like any other place that exist in the city today. They aren't building High Park or Brickworks, but this is a massive amount of space that will have many activities. It will not be City Place or Liberty Village because there is design review oversight for the whole area.

Looking at this future development map from the presentation, I guess as romantic as the whole project has seemed so far, we should be under no illusion that the City is building High Park Part II or Brickworks Part II, this will be CityPlace Part II or Liberty Village Part II with some nice bridges and river running through it.

View attachment 522773
The difference between this development and schidtyplace is that waterfrontTO is the developer and there will be better architecture with design competitions for the buildings and likely wayy better programming and cultural activities from what i've gathered. Cityplace was extremely lacklustre and waterfrontTO was not the developer.

Nov 25
Traffic will be shifted to the new eastbound bridge in Dec as it has been paved along with the road to the west and about 500' to the east that has an concrete base. More work is required to be able to shift from the north side to the south side along filling paving between the existing road and part of the new eastbound lanes. Rest of the eastbound lanes will not be ready until Q2 2024 or late Q1, depending if they do any concrete road pouring in Q1.

The Don Roadway area intersection is pour and pave only for the temporary use along with working traffic lights for both direction and no lights for the DVP off ramp.

Saw no less than 2 dozen illegal left turn for the DVP on ramp that divers were getting the horn form all directions, but they didn't a shit for what they were doing.

Traffic Notice​

Nightly Closures of the Don Valley Parkway Ramps at Lake Shore Boulevard East: Starting as soon as Monday, November 27 until mid December​

To prepare for construction of the north half of the Lake Shore Bridge over the Don Roadway, the ramp to and from the Don Valley Parkway (DVP) to Lake Shore Boulevard East will be closed nightly for approximately two weeks. The nightly closures will start as soon as Monday, November 27. Nightly closures will begin at 10 p.m., and the ramps will reopen by 5 a.m.
3dcbd9d7-cd66-0f82-e507-a35ef8abcb06.jpg
Above: a map showing the status of all roads in the Port Lands, including the closed ramp to/from the Don Valley Parkway.

What to expect:​

• There will be no access to the DVP from Lake Shore Boulevard East
  • The exit from the DVP to Lake Shore Boulevard East will be closed
  • The closure will be marked by traffic cones

Lane Restrictions and Changes to Cycling Detour Route on Villiers Street​

To facilitate infrastructure work undertaken by Enbridge Gas, Villiers Street is reduced to one lane with alternating directions of traffic between Saulter Street and Munition Street. It will be closed to vehicular traffic between Munition Street and Saulter Street from 8p.m. to 6a.m. nightly, until December 22.

As part of these lane restrictions, the unidirectional westbound cycling lane on the north side of Villiers Street has been removed. The formerly eastbound cycle lane on the south side of Villiers Street has been converted into a bi-directional lane to maintain access for cyclists.
75864887-f8a5-b58c-841c-7a638930870a.png
Above: A map showing the location of the bi-directional cycle lane on Villiers Street.

What to expect – Cyclists and Pedestrians:​

• The sidewalk on the north side of Villiers Street between Cherry Street and Saulter Street is closed. Signage redirects pedestrians to the south side.
  • The cycle track on the north side of Villiers Street between Cherry Street and Saulter Street is closed.
  • The south cycle track has been converted to a bi-directional cycle track, between Cherry Street and Saulter Street.

What to expect – Vehicle Traffic:​

• Villiers Street will remain open between Cherry Street and Don Roadway, and access to businesses on Villiers Street will be maintained.
  • During the day, traffic will move in one direction at a time between Saulter Street and Munition Street, controlled by a traffic light.
  • The nightly closure will be marked by traffic cones.

Future Traffic Impacts​

Expect increased traffic impacts on Lake Shore Boulevard East between Cherry Street and Carlaw Avenue in mid-to-late December. Crews will be switching vehicular traffic from the north half of the Lake Shore Bridge to the south half of the bridge (formerly the eastbound lanes). More details will be circulated in a future construction notice.

Construction Update​

Watch the latest construction update featuring drone footage from early November.
5cc5eaf8-f8ec-4efc-a941-52270eac33c7.png

Questions?​

To learn more about this project, please visit the Port Lands Flood Protection project website.

To send us questions or concerns about construction, use this online inquiry form.

You can also email us at plfp@ellisdon.com.

Excellent as always drum118. Thank you for that.

I smile when I remember that drivers breaking the law in frustration are total jerks, while cyclists breaking the law in frustration are simply telling urban planners that infrastructure has been poorly planned and needs to be changed to better accommodate their needs. Cars always bad. Cyclists always good. ;)

Excellent as always drum118. Thank you for that.

I smile when I remember that drivers breaking the law in frustration are total jerks, while cyclists breaking the law in frustration are simply telling urban planners that infrastructure has been poorly planned and needs to be changed to better accommodate their needs. Cars always bad. Cyclists always good. ;)
We should try to empathize with the frustrations of both drivers and cyclists. We live in a city where both are important modes of transportation for a great number of people. Too often we make everything into an us vs them situation. We need to work together to make transit good for everyone. Breaking traffic laws whether you are in a car or on a bike is bad. One is not superior over the other.

Nov 25
I can say 100% for sure that Commissioner St will not open this year and will not open until Q2 2024. Had a look at the east end today and it not close to having curbs pour for the road, let alone sidewalks and the cycles path. If they doing any concrete pouring in Q1, it maybe able to open late Q1 or early Q2, but not holding my breath for Q1.

There was a curb machine sitting on a trailer by the site and it could be for Commissioner or the Lake Shore.

The west end is more advanced than the east, as it has curbs pour to a point, but no sidewalk or cycles path.

Last edited:
Nov 25
I can say 100% for sure that Commissioner St will not open this year and will not open until Q2 2024. Had a look at the east end today and it not close to having curbs pour for the road, let alone sidewalks and the cycles path. If they doing any concrete pouring in Q1, it maybe able to open late Q1 or early Q2, but not holding my breath for Q1.

There was a curb machine sitting on a trailer by the site and it could be for Commissioner or the Lake Shore.

The west end is more advanced than the east, as it has curbs pour to a point, but no sidewalk or cycles path.
Though we will see soon enough, I do not agree with you. WT need to open the new Commissioners so they can full close Villers to work on the last (northern) excavation between the current Don and the new one. They made good progress on the east end of the street in the last 3 weeks and it is 'only' surface work. I agree no sign of sidewalks yet but bike path may be in park area south of the street. They also want to close Old Cherry so they can demolish the old lift bridge. New Cherry is in final phase for sure.

We should try to empathize with the frustrations of both drivers and cyclists. We live in a city where both are important modes of transportation for a great number of people. Too often we make everything into an us vs them situation. We need to work together to make transit good for everyone. Breaking traffic laws whether you are in a car or on a bike is bad. One is not superior over the other.
Equal measures until one completely pulverizes the other in a collision due to mass/size differences. One would think there should be two different set of laws recognizing this factor as they are in other countries, I believe...

...meanwhile the plight of the pedestrian is conveniently forgotten from those behind the wheel of those pulverizers sect, when stumbling over themselves in putting over the bothside'ism appeal. /sigh

Though we will see soon enough, I do not agree with you. WT need to open the new Commissioners so they can full close Villers to work on the last (northern) excavation between the current Don and the new one. They made good progress on the east end of the street in the last 3 weeks and it is 'only' surface work. I agree no sign of sidewalks yet but bike path may be in park area south of the street. They also want to close Old Cherry so they can demolish the old lift bridge. New Cherry is in final phase for sure.
No one has to agree with me, but I have being saying most of this year, dates for Cherry St and Commissioner opening date will not happen to the point they have come and gone with no new date.

Regardless if WT wants to work on Villers with the removal of the lift bridge, it not going to happen until both roads are completed.

If a concrete base is used for both roads like other roads, you will have part of the west Commissioner road pour by year end. Can't pour the east side until the curbs are in place and you have stated it taken 3 weeks so far which is too long other than building intersections for street, It will take 2 weeks to level and stake the curb for the east side and about 2 weeks to pour it subject to weather. This takes us up to near Christmas. Going to take about 2 week to pour the road for both side if the manpower is there, Then another week to pave it as well the bridge.

Now what happens to the sidewalk and the cycles path?? Are you expecting the cycles will accept riding in mix traffic until the cycles path is built??? What about the pedestrians walking on the road??

If Commissioner is not open like you think it should be, the cycles still have to use Villers as well pedestrians to the point they would have to travel up the new Cherry Street to Commissioner and then go back down to Villers to go east if the lift bridge is removed as planned. Do yo think there will a push back from the cycling community over this??

Now lets look at Cherry St as of Nov 25.
The road bridge was being pave that day. The cycles path is mostly ready for paving once the curb frames are in place as well the stone in it at the south end along with most of the east curb not pour from top to bottom.

Again, you got a few 100' feet of road to see concrete base and then paved. If asphalt only, 2-3 days depending on the weather. Landscaping will not happen until spring/summer

The phots for the 25th is the next batch to be worked on that has 400 shots with both roads at the very end for it.

We will wait and see what happens for the rest of the year and I stand behind my position to be shown I am wrong.

My friend who works at WT says Cherry will open this year. But agree with you about Commissioners.
I see no reason why Cherry can't be open by Dec 20.

It will have an impact as what will happen for cycles going east/west currently using Villers if the lift bridge is remove as plan as I noted above, let a long pedestrians.

As I am working on the photos for the 25th, I noticed they were still grading the area for everything toward the bridge, with the connection to the existing road more advance to see some curb work,

Back