To my surprise, there were people working on the Ship Channel Bridge today. Maybe it will really be open for vehicles again in a week or so

Agreed. This niche of house/electronic music lovers have migrated to venues in some pretty unexpected parts of town including Dundas/Lansdowne, Geary ave/Dufferin and even Weston/McCormack street. There are a lot of rusty industrial pockets in former York and the west end in general which have great "warehouse" venue potential that would not pose any residential noise issues. I just hope the city becomes more vocal and assertive in maintaing a more robust and varied nightlife economy.
That depends what scene we're talking about. The underground electronic scene is doing fine right now and that crowd generally wants nothing to do with the likes of Rebel. Not just because the music is cheesy EDM most of the time, but as clubbers grow older, they tend to prefer small/medium size clubs. The options may not be as plentiful as yesteryear, but there are still lots of great parties to choose from every weekend and if I didn't prefer to be in bed by 11 most nights, I would be out as much as I used to be.

That depends what scene we're talking about. The underground electronic scene is doing fine right now and that crowd generally wants nothing to do with the likes of Rebel. Not just because the music is cheesy EDM most of the time, but as clubbers grow older, they tend to prefer small/medium size clubs. The options may not be as plentiful as yesteryear, but there are still lots of great parties to choose from every weekend and if I didn't prefer to be in bed by 11 most nights, I would be out as much as I used to be.
...and some it seems have gravitated to the growing DIY community in the YouTube sphere, likely brought about by the lockdown. It's where I've gone to on this.

And this post reminds me of why I like Mr. kotsy. He's not all about the tags. <3

Agreed. This niche of house/electronic music lovers have migrated to venues in some pretty unexpected parts of town including Dundas/Lansdowne, Geary ave/Dufferin and even Weston/McCormack street. There are a lot of rusty industrial pockets in former York and the west end in general which have great "warehouse" venue potential that would not pose any residential noise issues. I just hope the city becomes more vocal and assertive in maintaing a more robust and varied nightlife economy.
...and isn't that how Detroit and Chicago got their electronic music scene? Still thriving and innovating after 40 plus years.

Any flooding in the lower Donlands with this weekend's heavy rainfall? It was heavier around the west end.

Any flooding in the lower Donlands with this weekend's heavy rainfall? It was heavier around the west end.

None was noted in the various reports I perused......

Here's a list of affected areas on Saturday from CBC:

1724033203239.png

As one can see above, there were localized issues in the Don Valley, but north of Queen; otherwise the most affected areas appear to have been in Mississauga in the north west regions of Toronto.

Eastern Avenue Bridge Demolition

View attachment 589623

The Condo I currently manage is one of the ones located in that image.

We were approached by the City of Toronto recently (as were other neighboring buildings) to do a building survey. They wanted to ensure any work being done would not damage the parking garages or structure of other buildings in the area.

As of today the work is hardly noticeable but I expect that to change soon.

So after a billion years of being left to rot they're finally toasting it...
Not quite billions of years but here it is in 1901- according to City Archives this is the Eastern Avenue Bridge BUT, from the geography this looks more like the King Street Bridge to me!. Wikipedia seems to think the Eastern Avenue bridge was built in 1933

The Old Eastern Avenue Bridge (also known erroneously as the King Street Bridge) consists of two bridges spanning the Don River in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The north bridge or Gas Line Bridge is a concrete arch bridge built for Consumer's Gas Company and is used by Enbridge Gas to carry a major gas main. The southern Howe truss bridge, similar to Queen Street Viaduct and Sir Isaac Brock Bridge, previously carried traffic on Eastern Avenue but is currently unused.

Based on https://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=ontario/easternavenue/#photosvideos I think the bridge photographed below is NOT what is being demolished, this definitely seems to have been built in 1933 because the 1899 one had been damaged by ice in the winter of 1932/33

"This bridge was built in 1933 and is a rare example of a highway Baltimore truss bridge, and an even more rare example of a truss bridge with three truss lines in Canada. The use of a three truss line design allowed for a wider roadway. The third truss line, positioned in the center of the roadway, divides the bridge roadway into two halves. This bridge was reportedly built for $70,864.07. The bridge was abandoned in 1964 when the Don Valley Parkway's construction cut the road off. A new Eastern Avenue Bridge that was compatible with the Don Valley Parkway was constructed some distance to the north of this bridge."

Fellow history geeks may also enjoy https://scenesto.com/tag/old-eastern-avenue-bridge/

1724192051608.png

Here it is being built in 1899.

1724192171494.png

Last edited:
Bridge looked like it was DOWN when I drove by late last night.
It is supposed to be down (but still closed). Ports Toronto website says:

Current Status: Ship Channel Bridge (Cherry Street Bridge) is closed to vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian traffic.​

Here is the planned schedule.

1724246192954.png

I asked WT if they are also going to remove the ENBRIDGE GAS BRIDGE when they remove the Old Eastern Avenue Bridge immediately south of it. Their response ....That bridge is owned by Enbridge Gas and they will be removing it on their own.

It looked like this in 1989/1990 and has not changed much since

1724269344102.png

I asked WT if they are also going to remove the ENBRIDGE GAS BRIDGE when they remove the Old Eastern Avenue Bridge immediately south of it. Their response ....That bridge is owned by Enbridge Gas and they will be removing it on their own.

It looked like this in 1989/1990 and has not changed much since

View attachment 589869
Hold up, what's that modernist beaut in the back?

Back