This is George Villiers! Keep the name!

I know that but I like my George Villiers better! And he is besties with Julianne Moore who is amazing! Lol

IMG_8125.png

IMG_8124.png
IMG_8123.png

Last edited:
Took this yesterday of the work to open up the plug below the Lemon Bridge.

View attachment 545981
And this is George Villiers who I choose to believe gave Villiers Street its name.

View attachment 545996
View attachment 545997
Though I have no doubt George Villiers is worthy of having a street (or a beer) named after him, the street was actually named after Major Villiers Sankey (1854-1905) of The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada and for many years the City Surveyor of Toronto.

SANKEY, VILLIERS​

Major Villiers Sankey was born at Brookeboro, County Fermanagh, Ireland, October 3, 1854. He was educated at Portora Royal School, Enniskillen, and in 1872 passed his examinations for the India Civil Service.
On coming to Canada he entered the firm of Wadsworth, Unwin & Brown, afterwards becoming a partner. Major Sankey, who laid out the new rifle ranges in Toronto, was an authority on military matters, and supplied the Government with special maps, particularly of the Toronto and Niagara districts.
On December 24th, 1888 Sankey received the appointment of City Surveyor for Toronto. In 1890-91 he served as the President of the Association of Provincial Land Surveyors of Ontario. He resigned as City Surveyor on January 20, 1905. On July 10 of that year, he drowned while engaged in engineering work near Kenora.
Villiers Street, just north of Commissioners Street in the Portlands area of Toronto, was named after him.
Sankey had 5 daughters and 2 sons [1891 Census]. During the First World War, his son Nisbett served in the 32nd Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force as a Captain. His youngest son, Lieutenant Colonel Richard H. Sankey would command the 3rd Battalion (CASF) , Queen’s Own Rifles during the Second World War (May 21, 1942 to Aug 15th 1943.)

1709679580263.png

See: https://www.krcmar.ca/resource-articles/1983_Fall_Major Villiers Sankey_1.pdf

I know the site itself has no standards, but Jack Landau is pretty decent.
Yes, he used to be a regular around here but even he has his byline on VERY 'click-bait" types of story more often than he should. If you work with crap you cannot avoid getting covered by it :-> I realise that's how BlogTO makes a living but

Is there a finalized plan for how Queens Quay meets with (new)Cherry and possibly merges with Lake Shore? I feel like if the plan is some sort of streetcar linkage they might need some space, no?

View attachment 547079View attachment 547080
There are plans for this somewhere in https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/waterfront-transit-reset-phase-1-study.25504/page-122. The idea is they would punch a new streetcar only link through the rail berm just south of the current Cherry Loop (which would close) and Cherry would go pretty much due south to "new Cherry".

Back