Slides from yesterday's Waterfront Toronto community presentation:

1711560460481.png

1711560441069.png

1711560482503.png

City News and @_ChanFace on X

2021 Census puts Toronto's average household size at 2.4, so despite @Northern Light 's good context, that's puts you at that target (if 9,000 units is correct). And that was before the housing market fully tipped into new territory.

Important to weight unit size/type into the calculation:

I don't have the 2021 data handy, but 2016 is here:

1711565701107.png

graphic on p.35

My first instinct was “I wish more of these developments were like The Well” (self sustaining mixed used) but then I realized we ain’t figured out just how successful the Well IS beyond Instagram.

On one hand, the Well does have adjacent streets, thoroughfares and neighbourhoods to feed from, whereas that could be a tougher prospect for an island. Buuuut I do wonder what kind of businesses Villiers will get that cater to the seasonal beach & park visiting crowd (oh they’re getting a beer store/wine shop/LLBO right?).

Will also be interesting to see how residents enjoy the noise from Rebel/Cabana.

We’re just two US presidential terms away!

The Well has a pretty dense neighbourhood surrounding it. And people complain about the Well's transit, but it does have two streetcars and is just a <10 minute walk from the subway. Unlike Villiers, which will be lucky to get a streetcar by 2040.

I think Rebel's days are numbered. The Island denizens couldn't kill it, but it won't survive being in the middle of a neighbourhood. It's got plenty of years still, though.

Back