Additional renders from: https://www.to-condo.com/m-city-four-condominiums.html

M4-3.jpg
M4-1.jpg

m4-2.jpg

M4-4.jpg

Hmmm, just occurs to me that the 6000 units being built at this project (M City) on a 15 acre site is actually quite a bit denser than the 7500 units on 28 acre site for 2150 Lake Shore (Christie). And the stark difference in the amount of care going into planning is a bit shocking. We should be expecting better, even if it is the suburbs. This is serious density that Mississauga is adding in the downtown area...

These first 4 phases have produced 3391 units so far. If they are going for 6000 units total, that means 2609 are left between 4 remaining buildings, approximately 650 per building if you divide it evenly, about 130-150 units less than M1/2. I know the next phase is only proposed to be 21-30s, but based on these numbers it's possible that they could end up going taller. If they only end up going 21-30 for phase 5 there could be at least 1 more decently tall building in waiting.

Rogers’ M4 tower in Mississauga to include smart building features​

DCN-JOC News Services March 17, 2021
It has been kinda lost on me until this article that the implication of Rogers being the developer for MCity is that all units will be monopolized into the Rogers network.

It has been kinda lost on me until this article that the implication of Rogers being the developer for MCity is that all units will be monopolized into the Rogers network.
Isn't that the case of most condo towers ?
Either Rogers or Bell.

Either Rogers or Bell.
i think maybe initially. Eventually other options come in. I was living at NXT and we had Rogers, Bell, the wholesalers, and then Fibrestream with their own wiring as well. Being in the Humber Bay Shores Community FB group also showed that tons of people living in that neighbourhood had these options as well.

Either Rogers or Bell.
i think maybe initially. Eventually other options come in. I was living at NXT and we had Rogers, Bell, the wholesalers, and then Fibrestream with their own wiring as well. Being in the Humber Bay Shores Community FB group also showed that tons of people living in that neighbourhood had these options as well.
I am curious what actually happens in this situation. Does the developer strike a deal with a Rogers or Bell for the latter to install the infrastructure in a new build and monopolize the building for a 5-year term or something, before allowing competitors in?

Either Rogers or Bell.
I am curious what actually happens in this situation. Does the developer strike a deal with a Rogers or Bell for the latter to install the infrastructure in a new build and monopolize the building for a 5-year term or something, before allowing competitors in?
I am not a lawyer, but wouldn't they have a contract with the condo board related to that? Following registration, the building will be controlled by the condo board, not Rogers, and they could happily get Bell or Cogeco or Beanfield or whoever to wire up the building. I'd struggle to see a contract signed by the developer holding up in enforcing an exclusivity contract onto a condo board.

I know the telecoms sometimes enter deals to be the only provider in rental buildings by providing kickbacks to landlords for exclusivity rights, but there wouldn't be such an incentive in a condo building.

I am not a lawyer, but wouldn't they have a contract with the condo board related to that? Following registration, the building will be controlled by the condo board, not Rogers, and they could happily get Bell or Cogeco or Beanfield or whoever to wire up the building. I'd struggle to see a contract signed by the developer holding up in enforcing an exclusivity contract onto a condo board.

I know the telecoms sometimes enter deals to be the only provider in rental buildings by providing kickbacks to landlords for exclusivity rights, but there wouldn't be such an incentive in a condo building.
I live in a co-op. We have Bell Fibre Optic wiring IN the building, but no fibre optic source on our street yet. (Stupid Bell.) We have Rogers coaxial service too, of course, and they offer a bulk cable rate to the building as a whole based on the number of units. Our residents vote on whether we as a Board will contract with Rogers for that service, (they went for it) and then each resident pays into the monthly maintenance for Rogers whether they use the service or not. There are lots of condos out there with a similar setup. No-one's getting kickbacks in our case, and probably not in 99% of condos as well.

I'm not a lawyer either but I think that when a condominium is first registered, the developer acts as the president and secretary of the condo board for three months following registration, until the first annual general meeting takes place and the owners in turn elect the condo board members among themselves.

I'm not sure where the legal room is for enforcing a contract made in those three months following registration and prior to turnover to an owner-elected condo board. It will technically have been made by the condo corporation, not the developer.

Back