Thanks for sharing the photos! Just to be clear are you saying that the gelatin factory is also going to go the way of the dodo? Right now it borders the multi use trail being built. Thanks!
The gelatin factory was the company that had filed the OLT appeal against the development of the LTC and Seniors Housing.

Essentially their appeal was to give them more leverage at City Hall on their request to convert their gelatin factory's Employment zoned lands to something that would allow for new Residential development on their site.

I assume since they dropped their appeal, they will be getting the Employment to Residential re-zoning, and the gelatin factory will depart the area when they get a redevelopment approved.

From today, demolition of the old TTC garage slab is in full swing:
PXL_20231012_164457276.jpg

There are zero permits even applied for here............

What's up w/that?

There are zero permits even applied for here............

What's up w/that?
As a resident of this area for the last five years I can say that this parcel of land has gone from marginal and one of dozens of similar lots to primo real estate that is connected to the region by 1)new GO station 2)Railpath frontage 3)almost hyper development to the immediate north, east and west and 4) existing and long ignored Landsdowne TTC station is finding new champions as transit oriented upzoning takes hold. The new GO/Smarttrack station brings with it immense upzoning and special attention from Metrolinx planners. Finally the Magellan building is only a portion of a much larger series of parcels. This is a long-winded way of saying that the original plan is being incorporated into a much larger exercise.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Hines, CF or Oxford are being talked to.

As a resident of this area for the last five years I can say that this parcel of land has gone from marginal and one of dozens of similar lots to primo real estate that is connected to the region by 1)new GO station 2)Railpath frontage 3)almost hyper development to the immediate north, east and west. The new GO/Smarttrack station brings with it immense upzoning and special attention from Metrolinx planners. Finally the Magellan building is only a portion of a much larger series of parcels. This is a long-winded way of saying that the original plan is being incorporated into a much larger exercise.

I'm not sure how any of that bears on there be no permits applied for here.

I'm not sure how any of that bears on there be no permits applied for here.
The old plans are no longer relevant and the newer, much more complex intentions aren’t ready for permits. Think East Berlin in the early 90s when smaller schemes for a stagnant, small communist society were dumped in favour of much larger and capital heavy West German ideas.

I’m not being cute and sarcastic; this area is exploding! Everything is up for sale and big, big money is stampeding in.

Last edited:
The old plans are no longer relevant and the newer, much more complex intentions aren’t ready.

Do you have any evidence, that since the ground breaking was held and the financing arranged, that the proponent has scrapped those plans, delayed the project by years and intends to submit completely new plans?

In looking into this; this project does not have SPA; and there have been no new docs in the SPA since March '23.

In looking into this; this project does not have SPA; and there have been no new docs in the SPA since March '23.
Excellent response! You are correct about this specific building which occupies ~20% of the southeast corner of the parcel. All I am saying is that since this structure was designed and permitted there has been a sea-change in urban development mechanisms that are evolving and haven’t quite hit the application stage but MAY be the answer to why there hasn’t been actual movement on this most advanced project because so much has recently changed. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a CoA application for more density soon.

It must be difficult to start projects knowing that waiting three months will likely deliver 2 to 3 times the outcome. For example the Loblaws lot at Bloor and Dundas (a 5 minute walk away and similar situation) is going from a large store, two smaller retail units and zero residents to 2000+ units and that doesn’t include the Catholic school to the north.

I think that everyone who owns property between Dundas West and Landsdowne stations is thinking Etobicoke City Centre style development which is affecting everything, approved or not.

Last edited:
I would certainly hope that there will be an application for increased density here. 7 storeys on a large site only a 5 minute walk to a subway station is arguably inappropriate.

I also hope that they consider putting more retail in along Landsdowne as it is developing into an interesting strip going north from Bloor. Solkatt, Belem and Nofa I am looking at you!

Back