If you watch a video from the TFC website called "Bob Hunter - Grass latest"
you can see the video screen in the background.

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp

Along with the Brinks truck making its thrice daily delivery of cash to MLSE from all of the city's sports fans!!! (just kidding.....I am a fan of this very well run business but that image was too easy to let go!)

I don't know if this has been posted

3862529380_74de9323fe.jpg

Last edited:
also

Air Canada Centre Re-Opens Bigger And Better After Summer Hiatus

September 11, 2009 -- Air Canada Centre, one of North America’s premier sports and entertainment venues, officially re-opened on Friday following a 10-week summer hiatus that began June 17 to complete the last phase of the arena’s $48 million renovation and revitalization.

The two-year revitalization project expanded Air Canada Centre's west side to include a new major entrance (located off of Bremner Boulevard), new retail areas and additional concession stands, all located in the new multi-level spacious Atrium. The Atrium is also the new home to an interactive High-Definition studio for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment’s three networks, Leafs TV, Raptors NBA TV and GOLTV.

Upgrades inside the arena include a full replacement of the current signage panels to digital signage, an upgrade of all food, beverage and retail concessions and further investments in the security program throughout the venue as well as an expanded and renovated Ice Box Bar on the 300-level concourse. A new automated arena seat conversion system will add incremental capacity to the lower bowl and significantly reduce mode conversion times.

Air Canada Centre’s concourse signage program will provide a new level of digital fan interaction and dynamic brand messaging. The $3 million digital signage platform is designed create an engaging and memorable media experience from the moment a fan enters the facility with over 300 High Definition monitors positioned on the 100 and 300-level concourses. The monitors will work in sequence to offer partners with near concourse dominance while providing an integration of live game feed and exciting team content drawing a new level of fan attention and interaction.

As part of the expansion a covered glass bridge will connect Air Canada Centre to Maple Leaf Square, a sports entertainment and residential development presently under construction. Maple Leaf Square is the largest mixed-use project to be constructed in Toronto since the Eaton Centre was built in 1977. Upon completion in 2010, Maple Leaf Square's public square will play host to tailgate parties and pre-and-post event celebrations in an open air environment within full view of the Square's new 30 x 50 foot outdoor High-Definition Mitsubishi Display.

Tour of the expansion: http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/acc_expansion_091109.html

and here: http://www.thestar.com/videozone/694445

Last edited:
It remains to be seen how the roof is finished, I agree its architecturally significant. Although I don't think even the most distinctive roof here will do much for these towers.

Of course the roof feature will make a difference. I am no big fan of these towers, but the balcony curve effect continues into the roof feature, according to renderings. It will create a pulling effect on the towers, and should definitely make them sleeker.

...I hope :D

Went for a walk today and noticed the interior LCD screens were lit up in the expansion, with a "Welcome to Air Canada Centre" message and some graphics. The broadcast booth was also lit up and looked pretty cool

The search lights are only turn on during events - the ACC has been closed for renovations since the last concert during the spring (No Doubt on June 16) - the ACC re-opens with the Leafs first pre season game on September 16 vs Boston.

I noticed the searchlights tonight. They'll eventually have to be realigned as I can see them shining onto the east side of the north tower which will be pretty invasive once the building is occupied. I can't see the south tower from my POV so I don't know if they're shining onto that building or not.

September 15 2009 update

The now topped off Maple Leaf Square towers ~

IMG_1583.jpg

Back