The area will be the next Bay and Bloor imo:)

I agree with you CondoGeorge. This area will be one of the best
locations in TO you will have Cat. Fairview style Retail which
they own/manage some of the best in Canada and the retail at this area
site will raise the bar for them. Not to mention 5 star dining at MLS and a killer sportsbar

I agree with you CondoGeorge. This area will be one of the best
locations in TO you will have Cat. Fairview style Retail which
they own/manage some of the best in Canada and the retail at this area
site will raise the bar for them. Not to mention 5 star dining at MLS and a killer sportsbar

I don't want to this to be taken as a negative comment (cause I love this project and what is going on the area generally) but I don't think this will be your typical CF retail centre. Think of it....there is what? 200,000 +/- of retail space which is, roughly, 2/3 accounted for with a grocery store and two restaurants! Add in a, likely, MLSE branded sports store and it really won't feel much like most other CF retail developments. That does not detract from what I expect will be a real destination point in the city though.

There will also be some prime retail in Ice and the concourse areas of the PATH also what built beside 18 York may have some very expensive boutiques that compare to Yorkville all this is a very welcome addition to this area. It will look like the financial district in a few years.

The whole pocket is designated "Financial District South" by the city of TO

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sexy SP!RE .. FDS will be the new sexy financial district.. Will be busy 24/7 not like the old FD that's dead after 6PM

Well, the Financial District we have currently ("FDN" if you will) serves its purpose fine the way it is. But for sure the new area will be busier after office hours. That's slowly happening in the Financial District too.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I was on Bremner late on Sunday evening and there was a big crowd watching a leafs game on the external jumbotron, and they had police blocking off the street... It was a total WTF? .. I didn't even know the season had started... That Jumbotron is As Bright As All Hell its lighting up Bremner all the way back to the skydome/rogers centre. and the street up here was also crowded with people walking between the two venues.... Anyways.. I still like Bay and Bloor better..

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen too many opportunities for independent retailers down here.

While Bloor St and Bay & Bloor isn't exactly the best example for locations of non-branded stores (these stores are around in yorkville, the annex, etc) this area will need more than a couple extra large retailers to make it feel like a destination. If they broke up the large spaces into smaller ones (say, 10 smaller independently owned resto-bars instead of 1 large boring one) it would create a much cozier atmosphere and allow for some variety.

There will also be some prime retail in Ice and the concourse areas of the PATH also what built beside 18 York may have some very expensive boutiques that compare to Yorkville all this is a very welcome addition to this area. It will look like the financial district in a few years.
That sounds exciting, but what's being marketed as "prime retail" doesn't imply that it's fit for Tiffany's. How can you be sure it won't be the usual dry cleaners, bank branch, and pizza pizza?

I still can't picture Yorkville-calibre retail opening next to a major sports venue and the Gardiner, and afaik neither MLSE nor Ice are being marketed as luxury condos.

I'm not saying it will never happen, but this neighbourhood will have to prove itself. It will not instantly transform into a high end retail destination when the scaffolding comes down. Maybe over a period of 20 years minimum -- time enough for a generation of wealthy residents to establish themselves and the area. But given the nature of the venue and condos, I think it would take longer than that, if at all.

Last edited:
This is an indoor mall with a Longos and a store selling Leafs and Raptors trinkets and clothes (and yes, you will get a dry cleaners and some fast food/coffee chain stores). To contemplate that this would be close to Yorkville is absurd.

Exactly. How many hockey-jersey dads do you really catch windowshopping at Bay & Bloor? The demographic that will be attracted to this neighbourhood will not support that kind of retail at all. Maybe a Foot Locker or SportChek would be appropriate for that "prime retail" space in Ice.

And don't expect much from the concourse retail. I think that would be better suited to discount travel brokers and PayLess Shoes, maybe a Rexall drugstore if you're lucky.

Something like this might work down there. Years ago when Mel was in power there was a rumour of a similar type of development setting up shop in one of those vacant lands.

Here is a pic of the Northport Mall (which kind of would look very Torontish in this area of our waterfront) in Yokohama Japan.

northportmall.jpg

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...tbnw=146&prev=/images?q=mall&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=G

Indeed, any comparison to Yorkville is hilarious and outlandish.

Toronto is a winter city and that means we'll have a lot of indoor malls. The PATH is designed to overcome the wicked winter months and it is littered with retail that serve its clientele well. I would not expect the retail, indoor mall or PATH in this new emerging area to be any different then that of other parts of the PATH or financial district that is not in the centre. There is no indicator to suggest the retail options will be anything other than convenient.

MLSE and area will be a destination much the same way as Metro Hall Court near Roy Thompson Hall. Lots of people during the day or when there is an event but the retail options will be few.

Back