I'm surprised they opted to keep the sculptures up rather than move them and build the large atrium they wanted.

There was an article in, I believe, yesterday's Star sports section about that. They really really wanted to move the sculptures but it was just too expensive. They also said the original sculpture was supposed to have been stainless steel but that was also too expensive. Frigging money is always getting in the way.

^Yeah, the article is posted on the previous page. I just can't imagine that the cost of moving the sculpture, and sticking it in the ground somewhere else would be more than the potential profit from a larger atrium.

Think of it this way, in another 10 years they can expand the atrium the rest of the way and get rid of those ugly sculptures for good. Gives them a little something to work toward.

Apparently the interior of the new atrium will be lit with LEDs that can change colour from blue of Leaf game nights and red on Raptors game nights - should create an interesting effect - especially when viewed from the outsite with the entire atrium glowing either red or blue.

^ Then the atrium won't be Toronto's next Times Square, but its next Fremont Street. Viva Las Vegas!

area_02.jpg

Back