28 February 2009 photo update

dsc02061.jpg

dsc02066ct3.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good! Good contrast against nearby buildings for MLS & Ritz

Then again, when I think of it, I wonder whether the old western face of ACC was indeed meant as something "replaceable", given the trajectory of development...

the condo village surrounding the gardiner is exciting but will really need an injection of culture, i believe. we need a stretch, similar to the st. lawrence neighbourhood, with boutiques and restaurants. you know, more trees, nice sidewalks, benches. a new theatre or gallery would be terrific too. i'm worried this portion of downtown will look like north york, or worse, calgary.

MLS would look good if the top of the podium was designed like One Bayside. They had a lot of trees, water and a big art structure. Very nice looking.

Sorry - what's "One Bayside"?

the condo village surrounding the gardiner is exciting but will really need an injection of culture, i believe. we need a stretch, similar to the st. lawrence neighbourhood, with boutiques and restaurants. you know, more trees, nice sidewalks, benches. a new theatre or gallery would be terrific too. i'm worried this portion of downtown will look like north york, or worse, calgary.

Honestly...I have to disagree with you barry. The new sprots bar restaurant that is going up would have to be the best culture needed. There aren't very many good sports bars to go to when you're not at a game and this is definitely needed.

Here's my solution to your idea for more culture. Go nuts...but keep it away from here.

I wouldn't want Toronto to end up like some wannabe Paris or Milan. Toronto has to learn to develop it's own culture, and stop taking cues from other municipalities.

Honestly...I have to disagree with you barry. The new sprots bar restaurant that is going up would have to be the best culture needed. There aren't very many good sports bars to go to when you're not at a game and this is definitely needed.

Here's my solution to your idea for more culture. Go nuts...but keep it away from here.

I wouldn't want Toronto to end up like some wannabe Paris or Milan. Toronto has to learn to develop it's own culture, and stop taking cues from other municipalities.

i can see where you're coming from, but like i said, i don't want this neighbourhood to become a boring condo cut-out with no connecting thread, no vibrancy. i do think that when june callwood park, cityplace park, and queens quay gets its makeover, there will be many more shops.

?

Sorry, oldest crock around. Local culture comes from locals' expression, and we express what we have experienced throughout our lives.

Torontonians are from everywhere, so our local culture is our expression of our experiences from everywhere.

Everywhere includes growing up with cafes and bistros and trattorias and noodle shops and tavernas and hotpots as much as it does with sports bars or hamburger joints or KFCs or Swissy Chickies.

Get over it. Toronto will always look like it is from everywhere else, because it is, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Back