They've taken down most of the interior hoarding at the ACC expansion. It doesn't make much of a difference during the daytime, but it does look pretty cool when it's darker out because the whole thing just glows from within. Can't wait to see it with all of the permanent lighting installed.

I was skeptical of this development and was honestly, really really astounded that it sold so quickly (who'd want to live next to the AC Centre or try parking their car and getting to their condo during any event), but am happy to say that, at least on the exterior, it seems I was wrong. It's looking really great and as long as some pedestrian improvements are made to make the crossing under the gardiner more user friendly (at York, Yonge, and Bay), then this will hopefully silence the "tear down the gardiner" critics and show that it isn't an impediment if it's incorporated into the urban fabric of the area. The train tracks have always been the real issue.

Why would resident parking be an issue? For a measly 40K$ you can add a spot to your purchase!

Unless you meant it in the sense that the traffic 'round there would be mental during match days....in which case: tough! You live down there and you need to be driving around on the regular? I don't think so!
I have eight friends who live in various central Toronto condos and not a single one of them own a car.

I'll be silenced when they do something.....almost anything! with the damn highway and tracks.

I know money isn't too plentiful but would burying the Gardiner be a disaster? Or completely sheathing it in mixed-use buildings?
But like you say, making those grimy underpasses as pedestrian-friendly as possible is a good start.

The status quo friggin' sucks. End of, as far as I'm concerned.

March 10 2009 update

North tower is on the 26th floor ~
IMG_3491.jpg

Office component
IMG_3492.jpg

South tower
IMG_3494.jpg

Bridge to the refaced ACC
IMG_3493.jpg

Peek preview of atrium walkway in MLS's retail podium leading to Bay Street
IMG_3495.jpg

WOW @ the last image. It's a little indoor mall type of thing?

I love the lines, the angles. They almost make the whole thing so very overwhelming. I think it's buildings like this that first got me thinking about the beauty of vertical life when I was a wee one...you know, such striking designs coupled with the obvious functionality of such constructs.

I'm really excited for this one. :)

The first two floors are going to be largely public access with a bunch of retail/restaurant uses. Just to the left of the column in the last picture you can see the tarped-over escalator that leads to the second floor. Coming off that escalator leads to a bar to the left and a restaurant to the right. Going straight ahead takes you through a linear mall with shops on either side of the area under the skylight.

At the other end of the mall there's escalators leading to the basement and the location of the eventual PATH connection to Ice.

^ Good job. Helps us imagine how slim and trim the towers will look in contrast to the edgy and boxy podium.

Speaking of the podium, I love your shots Solaris. Your second one is especially great. The angles and edges of this development are very exciting. Crisp corners but not at a 90' angle... so novel for Toronto.

With such slim towers, I think the chunky podium might actually look great. :)

What an exciting project. We're almost used to it now but a few months ago it was almost unthinkable.

Is it just me or do those towers look like they're leaning apart?

Hey, it's seriously impressive for MS paint. You know that's a manipulated image, right? Those towers aren't that tall yet. Ramako was nice enough to spend some time to give us an idea of what they'll look like in the future.

Back