I just remember seeing exit stair doors and vehicle entry, a mechanical room with venting, etc.

Even if there is more retail south of the Shoppers Drug Mart on Jarvis, most of that walk, from my memory of the numerous times I've walked past, is blank brick walls and vents.

I'm not trying to trash this project, because I love it. But just an honest observation of mine in addition to intervention's critique.

EDIT: I checked on Google Streetview and it seems like behind the remaining hoarding at the south end of the site there is indeed more retail space. (Or at least I can't imagine what else would go along that stretch.) I stand corrected by Andrea :)

Last edited:
I agree. The building itself is really attractive from afar but the way it meets the street along Jarvis is actually really disappointing. I find it less pleasant to walk along there now than it was as a parking lot or abandoned warehouse. In general I find that the intersection of Jarvis and Esplanade and everything south of there on Jarvis is really unpleasant as a pedestrian. Traffic on that stretch of Jarvis is really fast, cars are in a hurry to get to or from the Gardiner and drive very aggressively and fast through there. I'm not sure if there's a solution to fix this.

The retail on Jarvis south of Esplanade has always struggled, for example, the Golden Griddle and Caribbean restaurants on the east side failed, and the health food shop south of it seems a lot quieter than it used to be when it was in the North Market building. I think prospects for additional retail in the base of Market Wharf are not great, the best that will succeed there would probably be a dry cleaner or small convenience store catering to residents.

I hope you are right but the last i heard this was NOT going to be a walkway but only the entrance/exit from their loading dock.

During our last tour through the complex we saw the area that would allow people to walk through between Market and Jarvis. It's shared with the loading access and pick-up drop-off IIRC.

I just remember seeing exit stair doors and vehicle entry, a mechanical room with venting, etc.

Even if there is more retail south of the Shoppers Drug Mart on Jarvis, most of that walk, from my memory of the numerous times I've walked past, is blank brick walls and vents.

I'm not trying to trash this project, because I love it. But just an honest observation of mine in addition to intervention's critique.

EDIT: I checked on Google Streetview and it seems like behind the remaining hoarding at the south end of the site there is indeed more retail space. (Or at least I can't imagine what else would go along that stretch.) I stand corrected by Andrea :)

Yep, there does appear to be more retail beyond the vehicular entry point.

003emarket.model.jpg

Image c/o Blacktower.tv

Received today: http://context.ca/blog/2013/02/04/public-art-renderings-for-market-wharf-released/

We just can't keep it secret anymore...This is Market Wharf’s future public artwork by Paul Raff Studio!

This passage is intended to transport pedestrians and cyclists through the block from street to street, and to house bicycle and automobile parking for the retail shops contained within Market Wharf. The goal for the artist is to animate and enhance the passage above what would typically be a utilitarian, dark space.

This public art was a global competition we ran for artists and architects and the winning design is courtesy of Paul Raff Studio. The art is located is a passage that runs within Market Wharf from Market Street to Jarvis Street.

Art Desription from Paul Raff Studio:

Until about 90 years ago, Lake Ontario rolled over the site of Market Wharf. At approximately the level of the ceiling of the new public passageway, the lake’s surface glittered and heaved for those many millennia. A lake’s surface fascinates with its universally appealing beauty. Imagine you could see the lake’s surface frozen in static, sculptural form. Imagine you could walk underneath and experience it. This is Market Wharf’s future public artwork by Paul Raff Studio.

This piece is very complimentary to the art installation on Fork York boulevard, "Watertable". This installation reflects the original shoreline of Lake Ontario depicted in lights simulating the tide rolling into the shore. It's located but steps from Library District.

CXT_Market_Wharf_Render_1_Interior.jpg

CXT_Market_Wharf_Render_2_Exterior.jpg

That actually sounds pretty interesting, and clearly fitting. The render is pretty low-res, so I'm curious to see the planned materials and whether or not lighting will be incorporated into the final piece.

Back