16 September 2012: Happy New Year edition:

20120916174436.jpg

20120916174638.jpg

20120916174807.jpg

20120916175117.jpg

I think this thing looks great. Good enough indeed to challenge the 'sexily-if-duplicitously-curved' Sick Kids building on Bay. I hope it'll be finished with the same antiseptically-cool, nouveau-Japanese flavour that B+H have bestowed upon the new Queens Park TTC entrance.

I usually don't like reflective glass but I love it on this project. The clear and green-striped sections clash with the reflective blue glass though which is unfortunate.

I usually don't like reflective glass but I love it on this project. The clear and green-striped sections clash with the reflective blue glass though which is unfortunate.

That was the intention though. The blue glass section is supposed to look like its floating on the green glass. The contrast is what I love about the building.

Oh I like the CONTRAST, but not the fact that it clashes. The massing is interesting, and contrast is good, but you can contrast without using clashing glass colours.

Oh I like the CONTRAST, but not the fact that it clashes. The massing is interesting, and contrast is good, but you can contrast without using clashing glass colours.

Agreed. They could have used a light bluish hue for the clear glass.

I see the green glass was used to match MARS I, and the blue-reflective glass to match the hydro building across the street. This cladding was chosen very obviously to fit in with its surroundings if you ask me.

Does a building need to use exact copies of nearby buildings' materials in order to be in-context? I don't see why it's necessary, at least not at the expense of the building's own aesthetic.

Anyways, I do like the shape and some other features of the building. The renderings just teased me into expecting much more than what we've got so far.

I haven't seen it in person yet but from the pictures at least this one just doesn't work for me, though it's more about context and how it relates to Queen's Park and Ontario Hydro etc. than about any shortcomings of architecture per se.

from this picture it looks like they are going for a bit of a bookend effect with the existing building at the east end of the MARS complex... same coloured glass and horizontal banding.

165r-X2.jpg

image by rdaner

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news on commercial tenants yet? The base is nicely set back from College St and would make a great location for a restaurant.

Back