I can't believe they built this, especially at this location......huge mistake

A massive research centre in the centre of the city that brings in tens of millions of research dollars, has thousands of good paying jobs, located on a subway line, next door to the University of Toronto and several major hospitals - MaRS is a great facility for Toronto and the expansion creates more space for research and innovation. They are also great looking buildings book-ended between the Toronto General Hospital heritage building, beautifully restored, modernized and re-purposed. I don't see a mistake here.

I walk past this project every day and yet, for some reason, I have to see it in a picture before I can really appreciate it. It's going to look even better one they take down the cranes and the exterior service elevator. Also, once the ground level hoarding is down it will really bring some vitality to a corner that was always quite dull. This particular part of town is always going to be institutional, and a bit "deadly" if I may say so. But, if this project pitches it right, it will be a great enhancement. I am definitely looking forward to the opening of this phase of MaRS.

Last edited:
Today:

iZcxdRt.jpg

A bit of accoutrements being added.

Pic taken Jan 25, 2013

IBFajvQ.jpg

From my office I can see a veritable skyline of different sized pipes that have been installed on the roof of this building. It must be for all the lab space.

I really like those louvres being added to the podium but I'm not a fan of the plasticky/cheap-looking sand-coloured siding around them.

Last edited:
I really like those louvres being added to the podium but I'm not a fan of the plasticky/cheap-looking sand-coloured siding around them.

Agreed - the materials choices have otherwise been well done on this building, which makes this small misstep seem all the more jarring.

Crane coming down as we speak. Couldn't get a photo in time before the light turned green :(

Cool timelapse! They also have a live webcam here where you can see the crane is now fully down

Back