I think the removal of the fire escapes is a shame as well. They add a certain texture, as well as a flavor long forgotten here. Too much of what we have in the way of eccentricities and their likes are removed or paved over for a more simplified look. But the results are not any more appealing or better. In fact this intervention with the glass running along Victoria is fine (a little boring) - but it feels so timid - why not make it cantilever out onto Shuter and add a little daring to this project.

Otherwise, I am pleased for the renovations to the building - it has been waiting for some attention for years.

p5

Me likey. With reservations.

The glass canopy could be designed differently for a better effect. As a former "user" of Massey Hall, I can say with a degree of authority that the canopy is necessary, a needed thing.

Not sure I like the north exposure of the addition on the back. Time may not serve its design very well.

re: iron staircase/canopy - perhaps a way to "preserve" that effect would be to build that canopy out of the same material as the staircase.

AoD

The old canopy:

POSTCARD - TORONTO - MASSEY HALL - INTERESTING CORNER VIEW - BEAUTIFUL VERSION - EARLY.jpg

Attachments

• POSTCARD - TORONTO - MASSEY HALL - INTERESTING CORNER VIEW - BEAUTIFUL VERSION - EARLY.jpg
    POSTCARD - TORONTO - MASSEY HALL - INTERESTING CORNER VIEW - BEAUTIFUL VERSION - EARLY.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,013
Just in case anyone is unaware ... the canopy is from the 30s-era renovation. It does seem better to go back to the original, even if there were room for that on a now-widened Shuter St. Lose the mustache, Massey!

Then and Way Back Then:

postcard-toronto-massey-hall-early.jpg
Massey-Hall-PHOTO-then.jpg

Just in case anyone is unaware ... the canopy is from the 30s-era renovation. It does seem better to go back to the original, even if there were room for that on a now-widened Shuter St. Lose the mustache, Massey!

Then and Way Back Then:

Could the canape have been added when the fire escapes were installed in 1909 (or 1911, depending on the source)?

Could the canape have been added when the fire escapes were installed in 1909 (or 1911, depending on the source)?

Of course you're right - the 1933 renovations were interior only, and that postcard pic I posted with the canape is clearly older than the 30s. (Over in the Then and Now thread, folks would use the playbill in the picture to tell you exactly what WEEK it was taken! But all I can say is ptobably teens.)

Back