Get Shayne Dark to design a canopy that looks like your canape, and I'm in.

Screen-shot-2012-10-31-at-4.40.59-PM1-460x264.png

I'm looking forward to the renos but there's a part of me that will miss those fire escapes. They're a quickly disappearing architectural element and they add a certain 'mood' to a building.

mh1b.jpg

Great shot androiduk, I remember seeing you post that before and loved it then too. I really like fire escapes too, for the same reasons and there aren't so many in Toronto, but I honestly won't miss them on Massey Hall. They never looked right to me, especially on the front of the building and upon learning the history of them recently (added in 1911) I understand why now. I really think the building will look so much better without them, especially once the exterior elements are all cleaned up, windows restored and illuminated properly at night.

They were added later, but now they kind of have their own history to them, so I can see a reason to both keep and remove them. But removing them would bring back the original look of the building so ultimately that's what I lean toward.

The Ontario Budget allocates a further $8 million

"Massey Hall
Toronto's Massey Hall continues to play an important role in attracting leading performers from around the world. The government will provide $8 million in 2013–14 to support Massey Hall's revitalization. The renewal of this iconic landmark will allow Massey Hall to continue to contribute to the growth of Ontario's performing arts scene as a fully functional modern venue."
"

So that's a total of $16 million from the Feds and the Province. The CBC says the whole thing will cost $30 million. Any guesses as to where the other half comes from? Private donations?

So that's a total of $16 million from the Feds and the Province. The CBC says the whole thing will cost $30 million. Any guesses as to where the other half comes from? Private donations?

How much is coming from the condo development? Just the land?

I guess the remaining half will be raised through fundraising or donations.

How much is coming from the condo development? Just the land?

I guess the remaining half will be raised through fundraising or donations.

Massey has been really slow to get their private fundraising underway. In fact thery're still hiring: http://www.workinculture.ca/The-Job-Board/jobs/Development-Manager-(3). I wonder if they're trying to get the City to cough up its customary 1/3 share of the government funding. (Maybe if they promise to put the building underground, Rob Ford will pay?)

I walked by Massey Hall this evening and they have scaffolding going up around the Shuter and Victoria St. sides of the building. Could they be starting this project immediately?

I walked by Massey Hall this evening and they have scaffolding going up around the Shuter and Victoria St. sides of the building. Could they be starting this project immediately?
I doubt it, they may either be doing further studies of what is there now or doing regular repairs.

Keep in mind re the fire escapes that they're (last I checked) still "open"--that is, one can still freely "cross the Massey Hall facade" a la the girders of the Sydney Harbour Bridge...

Back