News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I was not a Rex fan.

He was very articulate and loquacious, traits for which I do have an appreciation, and respect.

I also agreed w/the odd position he took, he didn't get 'em all wrong.

But even when he was young he seemed to have grumpy old man 'Get off my lawn' syndrome.

He was prone to being reactionary, even when his extraordinary vocabulary might make you inclined to think a position was well considered.

He was not my cup of tea, so to speak; still the country will be lesser for his now gone input. Because even when in error, he challenged others to raise the caliber of their arguments, and the thoughtfulness of their choice of words.

My sympathies to those who loved him; and valued his contributions.

I was not a Rex fan.

He was very articulate and loquacious, traits for which I do have an appreciation, and respect.

I also agreed w/the odd position he took, he didn't get 'em all wrong.

But even when he was young he seemed to have grumpy old man 'Get off my lawn' syndrome.

He was prone to being reactionary, even when his extraordinary vocabulary might make you inclined to think a position was well considered.

He was not my cup of tea, so to speak; still the country will be lesser for his now gone input. Because even when in error, he challenged others to raise the caliber of their arguments, and the thoughtfulness of their choice of words.

My sympathies to those who loved him; and valued his contributions.
Growing up as a kid in the 80's, he'd often appear on the tv to give vitriolic commentary about this and that, but because of his look, I could never take him seriously. The intensely bulging eyes, permanently arched eyebrows, beak-like lips and fluffy, thinning afro made him look like an owl-esque cartoon character, or one of the Muppets.

but because of his look, I could never take him seriously. The intensely bulging eyes, permanently arched eyebrows, beak-like lips and fluffy, thinning afro made him look like an owl-esque cartoon character, or one of the Muppets.
Muppets indeed! I always thought he looked like a combo of Bert and Beeker and a little of Sam Eagle from Sesame Street.

Bert and Beeker.jpg
Screenshot 2024-05-10 150101.png
1715367737499.png

Darren was probably one of the longest tenured of the current TSN on-air staff, starting in 1995.
57 years-old.
He had prostate cancer in 2021, so I assume his death is related to that in some fashion.

Back