News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Hmmm....to make room for Matt Galloway?

I would hope not.

I really enjoy Matt Galloway and consider him uniquely suited to his current gig.

I think he does a good job of blending 'cool' with insightful and engaged in urban affairs and culture.

The current format of local TV news is not at all like Metro Morning, and to me, his unique voice would be lost in that changeover.

Speaking of which, I think CBC should seriously consider some format modification for its local news. Something to differentiate it.

The current format in the market leans more than ever to 'if it bleeds, it leads' and to endless weather and live hits.

I'm not suggesting they go 'Studio 2' ish; but a local format heavier on interviews, investigative coverage, and culture would be welcome.

They could really carve out a niche, rather than competing, often unsuccessfully with private alternatives.

On the subject of Peter Mansbridge, referenced above.

While I find him a decent anchor, I believe his has probably overstayed his welcome in that chair.

Knowlton Nash retired to make room for him; has has not been so kind to his would-be successors.

Which, I would be fine with, but for the fact his penchant for travel (on-air), as well as what I understand to be a fairly generous compensation pkg, has likely meant
fewer resources devoted to foreign reportage.

I also think that while ratings should be not at the center of newscast editorial planning, The National's slide in ratings over the years, particularly relative to its peers
ought to be of concern.

I think it was a mistake to the kill 'The Journal' portion of 'The National'.

I miss the greater presence of long-form documentary; as well as extended interviews.

Instead, we typically get a panel discussion of some type, every other night, which rarely add to the quality of public discourse.

Galloway's interviews in sports-related guests is always informed, asking the right questions and top-notch, so I would not be surprised to learn he does have a sports-background.
But his interviews outside of sports, IMO, are terrible to listen to. If the guest is of what Galloway considers a socially progressive stance his questions are light, never probing for the deeper motivations or ulterior agendas that may be driving the individual to act as they do. But if the guest is not what he might consider a progressive, he interrupts, casts assumptions, takes an aggressive stance, and probes as I suggest above - which would be fair if everyone got the same. Numerous times before I abandoned CBC morning radio I found myself shouting that he needs to ask the hard questions no matter how he feels about the guest.

Anne-Marie Mediwake announced last night was her last CBC Toronto news broadcast. She is leaving "to persue new opportunities".

Well the news is out. She is joining Ben Mulroney :rolleyes: on a new CTV morning show.

The live broadcast will be based at Bell Media’s downtown Toronto studio and will be on the air by summer’s end, filling the air-time spot just vacated by Canada AM.

Is this "downtown Toronto" studio a street level one at 299 Queen West?

^ I wouldn't expect it to have any major impact to ratings either. I was always a little puzzled by the notion that producers actually thought Strombo was going to be HNIC's saviour and messiah in the first place.

Reports coming out of mass layoffs today at The Star, including more than a dozen full time staff in the newsroom.

Reports coming out of mass layoffs today at The Star, including more than a dozen full time staff in the newsroom.
CBC now confirming 19 full time newsroom staff gone, and 22 contractors on Star Touch sacked. No names yet.

Christie Blatchford died.

I always enjoyed Blatchford on 1010 radio. She was an ardent runner. Makes me not want to bother.

I imagine Obie is happy to be reunited.

Back