The area--named by me :)--is known as Freedville.

Look, I know you think you are in with everything being built, but I have to bust your bubble and tell you that many of us living around here have been using the term "Freedville" for many years. Your naming claim is hereby rescinded.

Or maybe he's just going back to a version of his original proposal for the site, which was about 4 years ago with Context?

Actually now that you mention it - it kind of looks like Context's proposal for 620 King Street West.

Last edited:
I was wondering how this would finally look. Wow...it's certainly bold. And massive. It will definitely completely re-shape that end of Bathurst. I think I like it, though. It's unique and it will really pop when looking across the railway tracks. Don't seem to have given much thought to the streetfront, alas.

Good eye Neubilder (new image/builder?) - I noticed this when it was launched. The resemblance is uncanny - yet, welcomed! If we could even have a 1/3 of the quality of buildings that have gone up in Copenhagen in the last 5 years, we would be singing here. I am hopeful that we will see a fairly dramatic upturn in design over the next 5 years in our residential architecture as the rate at which build slows down and the quality vs. speed and lack of imagination in materiality is explored further.

At least Rudy is ripping off good designs.

First image: Lundgaard & Tranberg, Copenhagen, ca. 2006

Second: Freed/Rudy Walman, ca. 2012

pflivio

(gristle)"I think the outstanding problem (based on what can be seen here) is along Bathurst. That is a really long run of continuous building. The concern is that it will come off like a massive wall that will go from 15 to 18 floors in height for the length of the block. If there was a way to break that up it up a little, or to articulate it so as to create an impression of more than one building - that might help"

The building and facade along Bathurst could not look less like a continuous building and "massive wall". You are asking for a "way to break that up a little"? The whole facade is broken up!

Perhaps it doesn't look like a massive wall to you, but this was my initial reaction to the render for the Bathurst section:

frontbathurst+new+design+borg.png

We are condo-developer Borg. Your historic neighbourhood will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

I think the Bathurst facing side looks overwhelming and dominating. Just my opinion. (and some people will actually welcome that domination of the corner)

The style of the facade, on the other hand, is a welcome break from the bland glass towers everywhere else in Toronto. The other parts of the complex also seem to be handled in an improved fashion. It will be interesting to see whether this winds up looming over Victoria Memorial Park...

I think it's progress, of sorts -- much better than the previous design. I look forward to seeing how the design evolves.

I also agree that the new design is a big improvement.
In addition to the building in Copenhagen, it also follows the same aesthetic as 620 King West and Picasso, which are very nice buildings to follow.

The Bathurst Street rendering still looks very massive, but it is interesting that the view is of the shortest end of the building and the perspective seems to hide some of its bulk. The rendering shows 15 stories on Niagara Street and grows to 19 stories towards Front Street.
I'm sure a rendering from the park side or on Front Street looking west would tell a much different story regarding its mass especially in comparison to Reve.

We have a rendering from the park in the dataBase listing for this building.

Will an upcoming increase in mortgage rates slow down the condo market? If I was betting I'd say yes.

That said, it's not impossible that certain projects could defy overall market trends. There's a few real gems being proposed right now that I'd love to see built pronto.

Back