I like the material used in the st Thomas building, white stone. A 5 stores building right across from the sassafraz. With nice cafés and restos down below. Would add a lot of warmth and life to the area. Glass would make it cold.

Approved at community council today. A lot of negative comments from other condos in the area, mostly regarding height.

There's a bit of movement to report on at 94 Cumberland.

U.K. artist Mark Titchner, the AGO’s current artist-in-residence, will be installing a new mural on the existing building at the site of Minto's future 94 Cumberland condo. This is Titchner's second large public work to go up in Toronto; the first, a large text billboard was unveiled and installed earlier this week on the side of the Drake Hotel. Titchner is famous for provocative text based works, asking open ended questions that are meant to startle and make one think. The artist has been working in collaboration with Minto since September at crafting his message and executing this and other works that can be seen across Toronto. I don't know what the message will be, it's a surprise to be revealed tomorrow.

Minto has agreed that the mural will remain on the wall of 94 Cumberland until 2015, when the building is expected to come down for the new condo. Minto has the option to buy the mural or return to Titchner at that time.

Anyone who is interested in watching the installation should be down at the site between 11 am and 2 pm Saturday. Photographs are always encouraged!

Well, there it is. For some reason I was expecting something that would cover the entire side of the building.

94cumbn11.jpg

Titchner is famous for provocative text based works, asking open ended questions that are meant to startle and make one think.

Yes, very edgy. I'm sure when the over-privileged who hang out in Yorkville look up and see 'Tomorrow should be ours' they'll think, "well, duh" and go back to whatever the wealthy do with their time. Polishing their monocles and taunting hobos, I assume.

Hey, keep your realism out of my mean-spirited caricatures! ;)

... mean spirited or just plain apt? Given how resolute a bastion for the 1%-ers this area is the message does feel a little insensitive. Or is irony the intent?

... mean spirited or just plain apt? Given how resolute a bastion for the 1%-ers this area is the message does feel a little insensitive. Or is irony the intent?

Insensitivity might be something like "Yesterday Was Yours".

Anyway, I don't find this piece terribly inspiring. It seems something of a Gen-X slacker's "Carpe Diem", perhaps.

I thought it was a banner for the United Way or some prominent charity at first--the kind of organization that doesn't spend much on poster graphics to give back as much as they can.

Back