What is with the massive floorplates on this? this thing is going to be hulkingly massive sitting right on the lake with that oversized parking podium and the 1000sm floorplates.

Seems like originally this development was planned much slimmer, and yes a bit taller....whats worst?

926 LAKE SHORE BLVD W
OPA / Rezoning 13 125924 WET 13 OZ Ward 13
- Etob. York Feb 27, 2013 --- --- --- ---
Proposed amendments to the Zoning By-Law to permit the development of 2 residential towers with heights of 42 and 48 stories connected by a 4 storey podium. A residential gross floor area of 78,625 sq m is proposed. The building will contain a total of 847 units, 613 parking spaces below grade, and 248 above grade.

lakeshorewindermere_05.jpg

Attachments

• lakeshorewindermere_05.jpg
    lakeshorewindermere_05.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 626
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
It's such a thick building....reminds me of an overweight version of those towers on the west side of the QEW (Around West and East Mall and Bloor)
It's not a great design, but I like it in that it isn't a glass slab or box....thiugh it looks painfully suburban.

So depressing that this terrible complex is going to loom over the Gardiner and the Lake Shore. Tens of thousands of people will see these clumsy behemoths twice a day on every commute. Park Lake to the immediate east, nothing to write home about either, already looks bad, and these will be twice the size, and far more oppressive…

So depressing that this terrible complex is going to loom over the Gardiner and the Lake Shore. Tens of thousands of people will see these clumsy behemoths twice a day on every commute. Park Lake to the immediate east, nothing to write home about either, already looks bad, and these will be twice the size, and far more oppressive…

I would rather have a classic style buildings to look at my commute. Than two high rises that look like a stack of dishes .

I would rather have a classic style buildings to look at my commute. Than two high rises that look like a stack of dishes .
It's never an either/or proposition, but I would have preferred the stacked plates over what we're going to end up with too, only because as these towers are right beside the lake, they should address the water with some shape other than a couple of big, overly stubby boxes. While the style details of the design are an issue for me, the bigger one is the form of the development.

The mediated agreement with the City here allows a certain height (which refers to nothing nearby, maybe it has to do with how far north the shadow will fall) and in my opinion, too much density for that height to get anything elegantly proportioned. With the residential density in this spot, it means that we end up with an unfortunately large above ground garage which will create a looming visual barrier beside the Gardiner, and at the same time may bounce significant road noise to the townhomes and adjacent neighbourhood to the north. This thing is not good.

A "before" shot looking east from the bridge over the Humber, taken Sunday:

Lakeshore West Tower.jpg

Attachments

• Lakeshore West Tower.jpg
    Lakeshore West Tower.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 630
Mirabella should not be built. Its design is opressive and uninspiring.
It is going to negatively affect sunnyside beach which is one the few stretches of the Toronto waterfront that has been blocked off and privatized by a wall of condos. If was unfortunate enough that Park Lane was allowed to be built

This site should have been turned into parkland. The stretch of land between Windermere Ave. and Ontario Place should be designated a development free zone in Toronto's Official Plan

For example in Chicago they do not allow condos to be built along Lake Michigan, they only allow parkland to be built along the Lakeshore, ensuring that it remains public space.

Chicago-Lakefront-Trail.jpg

http://www.museumofthecity.org/project/chicagos-lakefront-parks/

grantpark.jpg

http://www.museumofthecity.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/grantpark.jpg

For example in Chicago they do not allow condos to be built along Lake Michigan, they only allow parkland to be built along the Lakeshore, ensuring that it remains public space.
Well we had the opportunity with Humber Bay Park to do the same, until the city decided not to plan anything for the area which ultimately allowed the OMB to ram through development around the park.

I agree that this site, along with the adjacent site next door would have been far more useful as parkland if their wasnt a condo already built, but with a condo already built right next door it would have been useless to make this site a park.

On a side note, for future reference it would be better if you included your thoughts on a single post instead of 4 separate ones back-to-back.

Back