The utilization rate would probably be the same if you swapped all the condos along the waterfront, over to the Mondelez lands and transformed the south side of Lake Shore as park land. That alone, plus all the condos on Park Lawn and along this stretch of Lake Shore would be enough to keep Humber Bay Park very busy.

I couldnt agree more on the architecture point and while this project wont help much with that aspect, so from the renderings we have so far it looks better than half the garbage that has been built at HBS.
Really? You have pretty poor taste, sorry to say.

There is maybe one complex in HBS that is worse than this - ok two, The Hearthstone and Waterford. Both small and hidden by their larger neighbours. This is just gross architecture, and the massing is awful.

You do have to wonder how viable retail for that stretch will be in any event.

AoD
With this monster built, and with Park Lake to the immediate east where there is no retail, and with a rezoning in process for a residential development immediately west of this on the other side of Windermere, there may very well be enough population eventually south of the Gardiner here to support a convenience store, a coffee shop, those kinds of things.

Really? You have pretty poor taste, sorry to say.

There is maybe one complex in HBS that is worse than this - ok two, The Hearthstone and Waterford. Both small and hidden by their larger neighbours. This is just gross architecture, and the massing is awful.
I'm sorry, so you mean to tell me that Key West, The Cove, Jade are much better than what's proposed here? And for that matter you think the hot garbage that will be Vita on the Lake, Vita on the Lake Two will turn out any better?

I dont think you have much of a right to be calling out my tastes if that's what you think.

Hadn't seen this one yet:

viewSupportingDoc-9 2.jpg

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3304152

Attachments

• viewSupportingDoc-9 2.jpg
    viewSupportingDoc-9 2.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 1,016
I love how the city obviously required the developer to create that image.. Not the prettiest, but confirms what i though it would look like from the Gardiner.

In some ways I'd almost rather the developer leave some openings into the garage to see the cars.. it would look nicer than that. I always liked how the Pinnacle centre handled their above ground garage facing the Gardiner.

The truck cab, seen at the right hand side of the image above, is about to mount the jersey barrier and flip over it into oncoming traffic. It's going to do that because the driver is convulsed by the enormity of the ugliness she is otherwise destined to drive past.

Ontario Tall Wall. The ministry of transportation is world class in innovation.

Ontario Tall Wall. The ministry of transportation is world class in innovation.
I wonder how much money was sunk into R&D only to end up with "let's just make a bigger jersey barrier and give it a local name"

I think I found a limit. I couldn't care less how a parking podium looks next to a highway. That truck driver was probably enjoying looking out on the Bay.

Shame that thousands of people will be driving past this enormous barren depressing beige wall everyday -- looks like the side of a suburban Cineplex.
Window wall with a mix of articulated spandrel and translucent panels would look so much better.
Or maybe turn this into this into a giant billboard which will provide revenue to the condo corporation.
Or a series of jumbotrons so that people stuck in gridlock has something to look at.

This is a missed opportunity of doing something really cool. Like some creative public art or a giant green wall to deal with the pollution from the traffic.

The lengthy description of this building on the architect's website is amusing:
https://scottarch.ca/portfolio/1926-lakeshore/

Last edited:
The back side of a Cineplex is a lot better. Drivers on the 401 through Scarborough have been subject to the above ground parking structures for the Eclipse and Solaris developments.

Shame that thousands of people will be driving past this enormous barren depressing beige wall everyday -- looks like the side of a suburban Cineplex.
Window wall with a mix of articulated spandrel and translucent panels would look so much better.
Or maybe turn this into this into a giant billboard which will provide revenue to the condo corporation.
Or a series of jumbotrons so that people stuck in gridlock has something to look at.
The wainscoting wonder that is that north wall is just the worst piece of junk, essentially looking like kitchen cupboards from the 1950s expanded to soul-crushing size. The bright white precast (if that's what they use) will build up the worst salt and dirt stain over the coming winters. Hopefully no ads appear on it… but overall I'm not hopeful about anything regarding this complex: its design is at last unified, it's just unified junk is all.
This is a missed opportunity of doing something really cool. Like some creative public art or a giant green wall to deal with the pollution from the traffic.
The whole thing should never have been allowed such an incomprehensibly boxy massing; the podium should only be a floor higher that the Gardiner, which would be enough to block the highway's sound from the park to the south. As it is, the taller wall is not just an eyesore but also becomes a giant reflector for highway noise into Swansea. The townhomes and condos on the north side of the Gardiner will get the worst of the increase, not just dealing with direct noise now, but also the bounced noise. It'll filter into the neighbourhood to the north as well.
The lengthy description of this building on the architect's website is amusing:
https://scottarch.ca/portfolio/1926-lakeshore/
Amusing if you enjoy nausea. Take a Gravol before reading it.

I love how the city obviously required the developer to create that image.. Not the prettiest, but confirms what i though it would look like from the Gardiner.

In some ways I'd almost rather the developer leave some openings into the garage to see the cars.. it would look nicer than that. I always liked how the Pinnacle centre handled their above ground garage facing the Gardiner.

If you look on AIC there are references to the north elevation in the drawings and letter (red box added to highlight note on drawings).

2yB7TUD

2RkraAV

Back