Yes dreamer, the Iron Mountain Mobile Shredding Unit has been a good friend to me as well. I hear that it's on pretty good terms with this guy too.

richard-nixon-picture.jpg

15 November 2008 photo update

Next time I enter Mt Sinai, it will be to donate $100 trillion dollars to rename it the urbandreamer hospital for ugly buildings needing a make over!

Checking out a cheaply built (but at $699,000 certainly not cheaply priced) townhouse openhouse on McCaul opposite Ace Bakery, I spy a good photo op:

DSC00079-1.jpg

There's nothing ever cheap about building a hospital, especially over top of a fully functioning one. It is unfortunate that the architecture is so banal however.

What an unfortunate addition. Mount Sinai was one of the few hospitals to have a cohesive look from top to bottom and side to side. It may have looked banacrete but still a step up from the piecemeal, count the additions look of our hospitals.

The less hospitals spend on aesthetics, and the more they spend on services, the happier I am.

The less hospitals make people feel bad to be in and near them, the more usefull they are.

True. Gods knows that I won't mind if the defibrillator doesn't work as long as the exterior detailing on the building is top notch.

^Mt Sinai seems to. Inside, walk all the hallways and names of donors jump out at your from every nook and cranny. It's probably one of the top 3 wealthiest hospitals in the country.

I'm sure we can all agree that hospitals can and should do their jobs without having to worry about being pretty about it all. as much as it might pain us.

I did not know that hospitals have unlimited resources.

You don't need unlimited resources to build an attractive and state of the art hospital. It wouldn't have mean cutting back on quality of service at all.

You don't need unlimited resources to build an attractive and state of the art hospital. It wouldn't have mean cutting back on quality of service at all.

Yes, but the fact is that you do need some resources to build an attractive hospital, and I think that virtually any resources that can possibly be spared should go to medical services, which are far already from perfect.

The building is not a looker, fine. But it's minimal and I don't think that should be a bad thing.

All buildings should do both, imho. Amaze and delight, both functionally and aesthetically. Toronto buildings rarely do both, sadly.

And all public drinking fountains should pump Dr. Pepper, but I wouldn't want the city spending any money to do it.

Back