Ya i agree there not horrible (although they did cheap out) but there not amazing either. there just ok imo, there's lots of worse and better.
cheap materials? They don't look any cheaper than the materials being used on any of the buildings being built right now. I think it looks great. Don't know what the inside looks like though. Not arguing, just a difference in opinion.

Well, the worst thing in that shot is 1001 Bay on the far left. Everything btw/Sutton + Murano; well, it fills the Bay St wall. Probably won't wear as badly with time as some might think.

I like the open Bay St. frontage of Murano as opposed to the arcades in front of the condos a little farther north on Bay St. I would probably like the arcades better if they were wider, had room for benches & plants and were more ornate.

although RoCP are not well received here on UT ... I think the exterior are not the worst for being 'terribly ugly' ... on the other hand the building looks amazing inside, the workmanship + materials were top notch from lobby to individual suites ... definitely worth taking a look :D

One of the many shortcomings of the ROCP buildings is the way the roof was handled. The curved top just doesn't work that well with the building's strong vertical lines. I think the setback towards the top also gives the building an awkward look and overall the building fails to do justice to the art deco design elements it tries to evoke. At ground level in person I'm always disappointed with the materials.

Walked by Murano earlier tonight, the hoarding has been removed from the west side of the North Tower... Some cement has been poured for the sidewalk. I walked by and only noticed doors on the north and south side.... Everything in between is all glass. I can't imagine what will go there. The exterior of this building is quite nice.

I'll probably have pics tomorrow.

Walked by Murano earlier tonight, the hoarding has been removed from the west side of the North Tower... Some cement has been poured for the sidewalk. I walked by and only noticed doors on the north and south side.... Everything in between is all glass. I can't imagine what will go there. The exterior of this building is quite nice.

I'll probably have pics tomorrow.

What is strange here is that I noticed raised areas of concrete that lead to where you think a door should be, but isn't. I think I saw two, but definitely one of those on the north side of the podium that I saw through the chain link fence.

What is strange here is that I noticed raised areas of concrete that lead to where you think a door should be, but isn't. I think I saw two, but definitely one of those on the north side of the podium that I saw through the chain link fence.
I saw that too...which leads me to believe we'll probably see some doors added.

Moonlit Muranos

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

June 6th Update

From Queens Park

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

I like the open Bay St. frontage of Murano as opposed to the arcades in front of the condos a little farther north on Bay St. I would probably like the arcades better if they were wider, had room for benches & plants and were more ornate.

I'm confused about what you're talking about, these arcades are on some of the widest sidewalks in the city. Some of the cafes put out chairs when it is nice out too.

I want the arcades to be wider. I think an arcade has more uses than open sidewalk. On top of protection from inclement weather, they're very pleasant to walk through or have a coffee under, if they're done right. Imagine sitting under an arcade during a nice summer rainstorm-verrrry nice. Arcades are very common in Mediterranean & South American countries and they usually take up most of the sidewalk.

I want the arcades to be wider. I think an arcade has more uses than open sidewalk. On top of protection from inclement weather, they're very pleasant to walk through or have a coffee under, if they're done right. Imagine sitting under an arcade during a nice summer rainstorm-verrrry nice. Arcades are very common in Mediterranean & South American countries and they usually take up most of the sidewalk.

I see what you are envisioning for the area. It is pretty barren with a dental office, real estate office, entrances for the condos above - there aren't even any cafes or restaurants that would be able to open large patio areas.

In Madrid, aside from the wonder siestas, what surprised me most was how BUSY the streets were very late at night. Busier than during the day. People just relaxing, sitting, talking, drinking, and eating tapas or a late (to me) dinner. Greece too - but these were usually on a pedestrian-friendly side street and not right next to a major road like Bay.

Last edited:
Granted this forum tends to attract those who have a certain aesthetic. But I don't see anything horribly wrong with ROCP - I think they look nice and I like the styling. I never notice the top from the ground, so I don't feel there is anything wrong with the top.

I also like Opera Place; it has brick and is lower rise - which is different from most of the stuff on Bay St. I also like the relative blandness of the surrounding buildings. It makes things like Murano pop against the background. I love the mix of different building materials, styles, and heights.

I know a lot of people here like the all-glass, slim/sleek, mega-highrise. I'm ambivalent about the style on its own, but think Murano makes a good addition to the diverse collection of condos on Bay St. If all the buildings were in the same style as Murano, that would be boring.

Last edited:

Back