I want the arcades to be wider. I think an arcade has more uses than open sidewalk. On top of protection from inclement weather, they're very pleasant to walk through or have a coffee under, if they're done right. Imagine sitting under an arcade during a nice summer rainstorm-verrrry nice. Arcades are very common in Mediterranean & South American countries and they usually take up most of the sidewalk.

Think... climate :). We Canadians like to grab any sun we can get.

I see what you are envisioning for the area. It is pretty barren with a dental office, real estate office, entrances for the condos above - there aren't even any cafes or restaurants that would be able to open large patio areas.

In Madrid, aside from the wonder siestas, what surprised me most was how BUSY the streets were very late at night. Busier than during the day. People just relaxing, sitting, talking, drinking, and eating tapas or a late (to me) dinner. Greece too - but these were usually on a pedestrian-friendly side street and not right next to a major road like Bay.

It always surprises me how relatively deserted Bay, north of College is, considering it's wall to wall condos. I think the wider arcades would attract more cafes with patios and make it a more pleasant strolling street. Even though it's a busy street, the wide sidewalks act as a bit of a buffer to the traffic. The buffer could be further enhanced by some streetscaping close to the curb. A more 'European' people friendly Bay Street would be a great addition to the core.

Last edited:
I'm probably in the minority here, but I find the *lack* of cafes, patios, etc. part of the appeal of that stretch of Bay. I actually seek it out over other routes sometimes as I'm walking downtown, as I find it to be a relatively quiet oasis in between Yonge and Queen's Park/University Avenue. I also think cluttering it up with patios would detract from its visual power as arguably one of the great NYC-style canyons we have in the city.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I find the *lack* of cafes, patios, etc. part of the appeal of that stretch of Bay. I actually seek it out over other routes sometimes as I'm walking downtown, as I find it to be a relatively quiet oasis in between Yonge and Queen's Park/University Avenue. I also think cluttering it up with patios would detract from its visual power as arguably one of the great NYC-style canyons we have in the city.

I share that perspective. I love the tree coverage near 900 Bay and the street wall that goes with it.

I agree with Fiendish. There is a very dense and busy commercial artery but a block or so away! Bay just needs trees and streetscaping to become a fantastic and probably very desirable highrise residential thoroughfare in the heart of the city.

June 9-09 Update

A few updates of Murano at street level

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The north-west corner of the building -

The sidewalk area in front of Murano's north retail area. Note several areas for tree planting and the graduated concrete ramps, one in front of a door and the other leading to a window -

In front of Murano's south retail area -

The residential entrance to the north tower, what a mess. I'd be pretty unhappy living under these conditions for six or eight months. Casa buyers take note, with occupancy beginning in December/January this is a scenario that you will most likely avoid.

I wonder if any of the amenities are ready yet, the north tower appears to be close to full judging by the lights that I see on at night.

I was waiting for someone to do an up close tour of the site. Thank you! I really do love that coloured glass.

Is that black brick going on the concrete columns I see in DTg's last photo?

look carefully at the left-most column:

Hey, good eye UD! I didn't even see that when I was by there (my dog was especially energetic today & was dragging me all over the damn place). That looks very promising!
Despite the horrible conditions all these people are living in, this building continues to surprise.
For the record, my negative comments in my previous post are not a reflection on the Murano complex, just that I think it's pretty crappy that people are living there with so much construction disrupting their lives. I remember RoCP (north tower) being pretty bad in this regard, but I think this is worse.

Last edited:
Hey, good eye UD! I didn't even see that when I was by there (my dog was especially energetic today & was dragging me all over the damn place). That looks very promising!
Despite the horrible conditions all these people are living in, this building continues to surprise.
For the record, my negative comments in my previous post are not a reflection on the Murano complex, just that I think it's pretty crappy that people are living there with so much construction disrupting their lives. I remember RoCP (north tower) being pretty bad in this regard, but I think this is worse.
They're taking quite some time with the entrance...

Horrible conditions they're living in? Haha that's funny. Sure, they are dealing with the remaining construction, but horrible? I wouldn't go that far.

I'd be very displeased.

Last edited:
I'd be very displeased.

I'd rather move in before construction of the complex was complete then continue to rent or live in my previous dwelling after waiting years for construction delays and other hold-ups. It seems clear that the street wall will not be completed until both towers are finished and they can add the weather protecting overhang the span the whole podium. The overhang distrupt the coloured glass. It might take the rest of the summer or into the fall to complete, much like RoCP took nearly 6 months after all residents moved in. It is not ideal but how is it any different that people moving into a subdivision without a lawn or paved drive way having to wait up to 2 years before landscaping is completed in the entire area?

I'd rather move in before construction of the complex was complete then continue to rent or live in my previous dwelling after waiting years for construction delays and other hold-ups. It seems clear that the street wall will not be completed until both towers are finished and they can add the weather protecting overhang the span the whole podium. The overhang distrupt the coloured glass. It might take the rest of the summer or into the fall to complete, much like RoCP took nearly 6 months after all residents moved in. It is not ideal but how is it any different that people moving into a subdivision without a lawn or paved drive way having to wait up to 2 years before landscaping is completed in the entire area?

Pretty annoying that I had to get out of my car yesterday morning to move the dump bins that was blocking the exit to Grosvenor. Horrible?

Back