...and that parking lot next to Bistro 990 needs to go. And Bay between Gerrard and Dundas needs a major overhaul. And that ugly executive rental building next to 1121, 1001 Bay, Opera Place, Aria, RoCP, and the Liberties need to be destroyed.

...and that parking lot next to Bistro 990 needs to go. And Bay between Gerrard and Dundas needs a major overhaul. And that ugly executive rental building next to 1121, 1001 Bay, Opera Place, Aria, RoCP, and the Liberties need to be destroyed.

so pretty much every building along Bay St. from Bloor to Dundas but Murano ??!!??:D

so pretty much every building along Bay St. from Bloor to Dundas but Murano ??!!??:D
Yah, pretty much. And Polo Club I and II and that insurance building facing St. Mike's campus can go too, as well as the 'divorcee' building and its neighbour at the northwest corner of Bay and Charles, across from Indigo/Manulife. And 1121 for that matter.

while you're at it ... would you also like to rename Bay Street to architectsAlliance Avenue ? :p

I don't know what all of you are on about, I love this shot.

IMG_0423.jpg

I think its generally fine too as long as you scroll the image so you cant see street level. Ive always hated Opera Place though...

I want to like this stretch of street, but the reality is that it's Toronto banality at its worst. Murano is very well done, Sutton Place is a keeper, and I do like Manulife. Beyond that, from Bloor to Queen just isn't anywhere close to being good enough. It's unsophisticated architecture like this that cements in many people's minds that Toronto isn't quite there yet.

With wealth, comes sophistication, but that takes time. There are signs of Toronto's new found polish and urbanity springing up all over the city, but too late to save this street. I'm at a loss as to how to re-invent this street. Burano and U Condos will help a little, but Bay certainly loses its appeal as soon as you venture north of Queen. Only once one reaches Bloor does Bay succeed again as a big city street.

Last edited:
It's unsophisticated architecture like this that cements in many people's minds that Toronto isn't quite there yet.

With something as crudely conceived as 1001 Bay, I can understand. But when it comes to the likes of Opera Place, well...it may be no award-winner, but it isn't like NYC hasn't got an "isn't quite there yet" thing going either.

Watch it with the overexpectations, IOW.

I want to like this stretch of street, but the reality is that it's Toronto banality at its worst [...] I'm at a loss as to how to re-invent this street.

The strong streetwall helps. If new buildings going up in this area help maintain the streetwall, and if the quality of building is improved such as at Murano then the overall appearance will improve. I also feel that streetscaping is imperative here: canopies of trees, nice paving and light fixtures, etc. A 'boulevard' approach will elevate Bay Street and I can see it becoming a very desireable location to live for those who like highrise living in the very heart of the city.

Maybe I just love this stretch of Bay from a pedestrian's perspective with the wide sidewalks and tree canopy (although for some reason the city won't plant new ones in front of Opera Place, most of the ones in front of Allegro are fine) and the streetwall is helping me to ignore some of the buildings.

Aug. 13 Update

From College & University

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The framing for the Bay Street overhead glass is moving forward and landscaping at the entrance to the north tower has begun

Are they cladding the columns?

There was a discussion about this not so far back (mid-late June?). It looks like it's not going to happen at this point.

Back