I soooo don't get Cora's and realize I'm in a minority. I just find it to be mediocre, seriously overpriced food. There must be 30 places downtown with cheaper, better breakfast/brunches and you don't have to look at horrible fake chickens and ChuckeCheesey themed decor.

I do hope they clad that concrete. Even though I'm usually a fan of exposed, it does look out of place here.

Can't say I'm a fan of the concrete (as is) although boxing it in alunimum wouldn't be any better.

The strong streetwall helps. If new buildings going up in this area help maintain the streetwall, and if the quality of building is improved such as at Murano then the overall appearance will improve. I also feel that streetscaping is imperative here: canopies of trees, nice paving and light fixtures, etc. A 'boulevard' approach will elevate Bay Street and I can see it becoming a very desireable location to live for those who like highrise living in the very heart of the city.

Agree with all that. The street wall is a big plus, and Bay isn't a lost cause. I suppose the frustration is that so much needs to improve here. 20 years ago, Bloor suffered from some of the same issues, but had luxury tenants to fall back on. Fast forward to 2009, and Bloor has transformed itself.

A lot of money has gone into improving the facades at street level, new tenants have moved in, and even the ROM Crystal has given the street scape a more cosmopolitan look. The Bloor Street Improvement Project will tie it all together.

Bay? It's not a retail strip, and most of the condos don't allow for much improvement at street level. Many may disagree, but I do think a bit more large scale retail would do wonders for Bay, but there aren't really any vacant lots left. We already have Canadian Tire at one end, and Yorkville at the other. It's no coincidence that Bay gets more interesting and sophisticated as it approaches either end.

Ultimately, Bay needs 3 or 4 impressive structures to elevate the rest of the street, some podium re-designs, and better sidewalks. Trees, pavement, flower beds, etc. It all makes a difference.

There is a continuity of "pillars" on the east side of Bay Street, which I find really interesting (including the should be clad in aluminum ones at Murano).

Bay will feel more balanced once Lumiere and U Condos go up.

I live just off of Bay and love walking down it. Not every street needs to be like Yonge or Queen.

isaidso: I'm not too worried about the lack of interesting retail on Bay. Yonge Street is a block away, and as you say Yorkville is just to the north of here. Bay Street north of Queen is a prime downtown highrise residential address and there is nothing wrong with that. It breathes life into the commercial zones nearby and into the institutional zone along University. It also follows that we'd see grocery stores and dry cleaners opening up to serve the needs of so many residents. Hopefully these will be upscale or more interesting than your local variety/coin wash.

My thoughts...

-Great towers. Modernism perfected!
-Podium is a big mistake-- the custom foliage-inspired glass is an afterthought and would look great on any other tower but this. The back side of the podium facing nowhere looks much better, with black brick and glass like on the towers. Also, the silver mullion strips used on the podium are completely antithetical to the rest of the tower.
-Big planters along Bay would be nice to break up the long, straight effect caused by the podium.

My thoughts:

Love the towers, hate the podium. Rather than a two story podium, why not a 10 story podium==or rather, 3 buildings in a row, aka, tower, 10 story tower, tower. Put the 2 story podiums where they belong: the trash can.:p

The art could've been replaced by some nice red brick on the lower floors.

-Big planters along Bay would be nice to break up the long, straight effect caused by the podium.

Actually, there are although plantings haven't been completed yet.

I like the art component, but it doesn't work on Murano. Perhaps it's too early but I presumed it would be illuminated at night creating a dramatic effect but so far I've only seen the odd florescent light on creating a very unsightly effect. The rooftop lighting also fails, the lighting is uneven looking as if some lamps are burned out and basically does little to enhance the top of the roofline.
The rest of Murano is shaping up brilliantly though!

We really have to wait till it's done though...They haven't even poored the concrete for all the sidewalks yet.

We really have to wait till it's done though...They haven't even poored the concrete for all the sidewalks yet.

Most of the sidewalks have been completed for some time except the south end of the site on Bay & Grenville Streets

My thoughts...
The long, straight effect caused by the podium is precisely what makes it so successful IMO; a sweeping gesture addressing and engaging Bay akin to Gehry's visor on Dundas. No ugly Ryerson planters here please, like the ones apologetically lining Church in front of the George Vari Engineering and Computing Centre.

Last edited:
Seems more than a little ironic that the project is called Murano, and we're finding that coloured glass art is wrong for it.

And this growing fetish for 6! 8! 10! story podiums. That's not so much towers on podiums as towers on bunkers. What's wrong with seeing, well, sky, or say, light, instead of just streetwall?

Back