Balconies are overrated. My girlfriend lives on the 25th floor in 18 Harbour (Pinaccle Success 1) and we almost never go on the balcony. Why? Well, from October to April it's too cold. And in the summer, it's way too windy (hold on to your hat!). Not to mention that the noise of the Gardiner makes it less than ideal for having a conversation. I almost never see people on the balconies of the buildings nearby, like Maple Leaf Square -- but I see the balconies used for storage.

I think balconies are good if you have a low unit and you aren't facing traffic. But on tall buildings, they're pretty much useless for social life (you can get the same views just looking out the window). My girlfriend and I agree that it would be better to have that square footage inside the condo.

Last edited:
It is not the glass - it is the design of the railing assembly, and the overlap at the bottom of the slab.
I will bet that it is wind deflection of the bottom unprotected glass edge causing contact with the vertical railing support fasteners.

Interesting theory.

I was thinking that for these all these balconies to spontaneously shatter in such a short period of time, the weather must somehow be involved.

Iirc the balconies themselves were installed 1-2 years ago, so even if there's a material fault, design flaw, or poor installation there really isn't any other kind of common denominator that I can think of that would precipitate it now, other than the time of year.

My only thought re the wind is that winter winds are usually fiercer, yet presumably we weren't seeing this happen November-March.

Where's Gil Grissom when you need him? ;)

Last edited:
Balconies are overrated. My girlfriend lives on the 25th floor in 18 Harbour (Pinaccle Success 1) and we almost never go on the balcony. Why? Well, from October to April it's too cold. And in the summer, it's way too windy (hold on to your hat!). Not to mention that the noise of the Gardiner makes it less than ideal for having a conversation. I almost never see people on the balconies of the buildings nearby, like Maple Leaf Square -- but I see the balconies used for storage.

I think balconies are good if you have a low unit and you aren't facing traffic. But on tall buildings, they're pretty much useless for social life (you can get the same views just looking out the window). My girlfriend and I agree that it would be better to have that square footage inside the condo.

I prefer having a balcony, and dismissed many nice units in other buildings because they lacked balconies. I ended up with a place that has two balconies. One has a table and chairs, the other has a lounge chair and planters with tomatos, jalapeno pepper, and parsley growing. I don't use the balconies as often as I would like, but its nice having the space when I do use them. The additional square footage I would gain without them wouldn't do much.

The only thing that sucks about balconies is it increases your sq/ft and thus your maintenance fees.

The only thing that sucks about balconies is it increases your sq/ft and thus your maintenance fees.

it SHOULDN'T be incorporated to your total square footage nor maintenance fees !

what i hate about balconies is the deceptive practices of developers and their R/E marketers that include it in the square footage in the advertisement, when only the LIVABLE INDOOR space should be noted.

it SHOULDN'T be incorporated to your total square footage nor maintenance fees !

Exactly, balcony size (when included) is broken out separately in sales offices and is definitely not part of maintenance fees. Balconies and terraces are exclusive common elements.

My balcony, with Murano on the right where I grow things too. Lots of things.

Apparently a woman was cut by falling glass from the south tower. This is definitely looking bad. Someone could actually die at some point.

Exactly, balcony size (when included) is broken out separately in sales offices and is definitely not part of maintenance fees. Balconies and terraces are exclusive common elements.

My balcony, with Murano on the right where I grow things too. Lots of things.

sick!.... once Burano and Aura are built, it's gonna be amazing, but a gap will then appear between Queen and Aura, we need something tall there (cough cough, redevelop the North-West corner of Yonge/Dundas)

Apparently a woman was cut by falling glass from the south tower. This is definitely looking bad. Someone could actually die at some point.

The glass is tempered so the most it would probably do is cut someone superficially rather than slice pieces off.

sick!.... once Burano and Aura are built, it's gonna be amazing, but a gap will then appear between Queen and Aura, we need something tall there (cough cough, redevelop the North-West corner of Yonge/Dundas)

You mean you don't like a tangled mess of scaffolding supporting giant ads in the heart of the core? LOL
I was thinking this exact thing a couple days ago. ANYthing but another Metropolis/TorotoLife Square/Whatever it's called today!

I'm confused as to how the glass is actually falling... Does it shatter on impact and remain intact in free fall? or does it shatter up there?

I'm just barely beginning to see one of the cranes at Aura, to the right of The Met, just to the left of the Enwave stack.

Back