8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

denfromoakvillemilton

Member Bio
Reaction score
"Toronto needs a/some 300m+ Tower(s) or Supertall(s)"?

I look at the new buildings threads in the forum and I notice all the new condos and office towers are 130m 150m 200m. etc. I think Toronto needs another 2 or 3 towers above 300m preferably on the left side of Bay Street.

Agree or Disagree?

Last edited:
Are you ready to lease the space inside one or all of those towers?

Developers don't put up tall buildings in order to satisfy the erectile desires of tower geeks.

Ignoring the market realities and going for pure skyscraper fetishism, yeah, I wouldn't mind a 300 m tall building on York St. York is kind of the poor man's Bay Street - it looks like something out of Vancouver - and could probably deserve to be brought into the big leagues. Also, I would support 300 m towers more if they were a little more daring. I'd be more excited if our tallest buildings under construction today were designed by, say, Gensler or Jean Nouvel, rather than Zeidler and Graziani Corazza.

Ignoring the market realities and going for pure skyscraper fetishism, yeah, I wouldn't mind a 300 m tall building on York St. York is kind of the poor man's Bay Street - it looks like something out of Vancouver - and could probably deserve to be brought into the big leagues. Also, I would support 300 m towers more if they were a little more daring. I'd be more excited if our tallest buildings under construction today were designed by, say, Gensler or Jean Nouvel, rather than Zeidler and Graziani Corazza.

Meet too.

I was also thinking victoria st would be nice

At the present rate, it'll probably turn up at Woodbine Live: Burj Ford...

My three reasons why this might never happen (not that I don't want it to):

- The City's new tower guidelines requrie residential towers to be very skinny. Skinny and tall doesn't work (too many elevators, tough to do structurally)
- 1000 ft office buildings are huge, and people aren't leasing 1.5-2.0 million square foot buildings these days. Most of the big leases lately have been 500k square feet
- we're running out of good tall building sites (I know there's a few, but we are losing them over time)

My three reasons why this might never happen (not that I don't want it to):

- The City's new tower guidelines requrie residential towers to be very skinny. Skinny and tall doesn't work (too many elevators, tough to do structurally)
- 1000 ft office buildings are huge, and people aren't leasing 1.5-2.0 million square foot buildings these days. Most of the big leases lately have been 500k square feet
- we're running out of good tall building sites (I know there's a few, but we are losing them over time)

That sucks. Maybe whoever becomes mayor could review the guidelines. It would make the skyline higher and better.

Of course, "Burj Ford" might look like this (at least if you wish the Mecca iconography away)
mecca%20clock%20tower.jpg

i would love some 300 meter + towers i think though it is quite unrealistic though that one would go up anytime soon...i'd like to see one go up on bay prefferbly near richmond or queen and one on yonge maybe near adelaide or richmond

^^^ yes I was about to point out the same thing. in any case it seems unlikely that the Toronto market could support anything of that size... unless it was some crazy mixed use office/hotel/residential. In some ways its disappointing that we arent keeping up with the heights elsewhere in the world but we are building some great density and our residential towers are hitting heights not seen before in this city.

Coruscant here we come. :D

^^^ yes I was about to point out the same thing. in any case it seems unlikely that the Toronto market could support anything of that size... unless it was some crazy mixed use office/hotel/residential. In some ways its disappointing that we arent keeping up with the heights elsewhere in the world but we are building some great density and our residential towers are hitting heights not seen before in this city.

Give it time. When Urban Toronto started 20 storeys was the norm. Look how much has changed in just one decade.

Back