IMG_20231130_155347.jpg
IMG_20231130_155401.jpg
IMG_20231130_155416.jpg
IMG_20231130_155429.jpg
IMG_20231130_155455.jpg
IMG_20231130_155510.jpg
IMG_20231130_155517.jpg
IMG_20231130_155525.jpg

Such a good building but this fence is so bad. The car gate is even worse.

I’ve also noticed efflorescence on a lot of contemporary brick buildings lately. Is there something different about the brick curing process or the mortar? Are the walls being too well dried?
IMG_7290.jpeg

Such a good building but this fence is so bad. The car gate is even worse.

I’ve also noticed efflorescence on a lot of contemporary brick buildings lately. Is there something different about the brick curing process or the mortar? Are the walls being too well dried?
View attachment 540065

As fences go, I think the design and quality appear pretty nice. The height is a problem, and I would argue may be in contravention of City by-laws, which generally limit 'front yard fences'.

1707692548322.png

The questions here, are does the term 'front yard' apply to a multi-residential building? I would certainly argue it should; and is the fence 2.4M back from the Lot Line? (Aerial maps don't yet show the completed fence, but looking at the lot lines, it's an open question. I got just about 6M from the lot line to building face.

I also wonder if there's an attempt to 'cheat' the by law, by having the fence sitting atop a stone planter. I would argue the height should be considered from grade level to top of fence.

As fences go, I think the design and quality appear pretty nice. The height is a problem, and I would argue may be in contravention of City by-laws, which generally limit 'front yard fences'.

View attachment 540066

The questions here, are does the term 'front yard' apply to a multi-residential building? I would certainly argue it should; and is the fence 2.4M back from the Lot Line? (Aerial maps don't yet show the completed fence, but looking at the lot lines, it's an open question. I got just about 6M from the lot line to building face.

I also wonder if there's an attempt to 'cheat' the by law, by having the fence sitting atop a stone planter. I would argue the height should be considered from grade level to top of fence.
Thank you very much for that information, of which I was not aware. I often wonder while I'm driving around the city and come to a street corner or intersection why the city allows cedar (or other) bushes, sometimes 4 or 5 feet high, to be placed around the perimeter of the yard facing the corner of both streets. It is difficult, if not impossible, to see past these bushes to see oncoming traffic. A true hazard. Also when walking, these bushes are planted so close to the sidewalk that the branches often extend onto the sidewalk making it impossible, in some cases, for even two people to walk side by side past them. I await your expertise on this matter and also any suggestion on how to report these issues to relevant authorities, assuming they contravene regulations.

Thank you very much for that information, of which I was not aware.

You're welcome.

I often wonder while I'm driving around the city and come to a street corner or intersection why the city allows cedar (or other) bushes, sometimes 4 or 5 feet high, to be placed around the perimeter of the yard facing the corner of both streets. It is difficult, if not impossible, to see past these bushes to see oncoming traffic. A true hazard. Also when walking, these bushes are planted so close to the sidewalk that the branches often extend onto the sidewalk making it impossible, in some cases, for even two people to walk side by side past them.
I await your expertise on this matter

Shrubs/Trees as 'green fences' do not have height limits IF they are set back 2.4M from the lot line or at the side/rear of the property.

This can be an issue w/corner lots as generally only the side w/the front door would be the front yard side.

Sideways growth into the sidewalk area is absolutely right of way encroachment. (if on the front side of the property, that also means it's on the side for which there is a 1.2M height limit if it's within 2.4M of the lot line. Which if it's encroaching the sidewalk is probably the case.

In that case I'm not sure if you'd go with a roadway encroachment order, or just ask the City to trim it to clear the sidewalk.

Roadway Encroachment complaints are on this page:

and also any suggestion on how to report these issues to relevant authorities, assuming they contravene regulations.

The full by-law on fences is here, within the municipal code: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_447.pdf

IF you want to clarify whether something may be in violation of the law before reporting it, you can phone someone during business hours:

1707843750141.png

Use the office where the fence in question is located.

If you've decided you want to report a fence, you can do that through 311.

You can see the fence work order (to investigate) link on this page:

Hope that's helpful.

You're welcome.

Shrubs/Trees as 'green fences' do not have height limits IF they are set back 2.4M from the lot line or at the side/rear of the property.

This can be an issue w/corner lots as generally only the side w/the front door would be the front yard side.

Sideways growth into the sidewalk area is absolutely right of way encroachment. (if on the front side of the property, that also means its on the side for which there is a 1.2M height limit if its within 2.4M of the lot line. Which if its encroaching the sidewalk is probably the case.

In that case I'm not sure if you'd go with a roadway encroachment order, or just ask the City to trim it to clear the sidewalk.

Roadway Encroachment complaints are on this page:

The full by-law on fences is here, within the municipal code: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_447.pdf

IF you want to clarify whether something may be in violation of the law before reporting it, you can phone someone during business hours:

View attachment 540363

Use the office where the fence in question is located.

If you've decided you want to report a fence, you can do that through 311.

You can see the fence work order (to investigate) link on this page:

Hope that's helpful.
Thank you. Very prompt and helpful.

Back