News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
“The mayor, I see him today on TV talking about bicycles. We’ve got another zillion dollars worth of bicycles . . . but for Christ’s sake, give us a break on Yonge St.”

Yeah, you're going out of business because the mayor is spending all of the city's money on bicycles... Such misplaced anger. Hard to feel sorry for him.

Sorry, maybe I'm not understanding your post, but I'm getting the feeling that you believe that it's a good thing to base the tax rates on what a property would sell for. That system dooms both the smaller buildings themselves, and the lessees within them, in areas close to where towers have wiped out other pre-existing built fabric. That's a problem.

Last time I checked MPAC has one job. How properties are taxed is beyond their scope. Regardless of which method, the overburden on commercial properties is a direct result of under taxing residential. And until that is addressed, changing the method will not materially change the outcome.

The Mayor and Council needs to convince the Province that their way of assessing the value of a site for tax purposes—for the perceived value of the land as it could be were it redeveloped to its full potential—is terribly flawed.

I agree, it should be valued on what it is now, not its potential. That's just wrong and harmful to the city! It threatens culture, entertainment and small, independent businesses.

Rising property taxes kills off another Yonge st business that has been around for years.

One of Toronto's oldest bookstores is calling it quits.
http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/08/one-torontos-oldest-bookstores-calling-it-quits/

There's a for lease sign in the window of Eliot's Bookshop, which has been at 584 Yonge St., for the past 22 years.

Now, however, owner Paul Panayiotidis is ready to throw in the towel thanks to rising property taxes along Yonge Street that have been pricing out local businesses, including House of Lords.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/yonge-tax-meeting-1.4252524

Renewed hope of avoiding 'death by property taxes' for Yonge Street businesses hit by 100% hike

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation will be re-assessing the value of dozens of Yonge Street commercial properties, which could potentially bring business owners some relief after a 100 per cent tax hike, the neighbourhood's councillor announced on Friday.

About 80 small commercial retail properties in the area's heritage conservation district will be re-assessed by MPAC, the not-for-profit corporation that assesses and classifies all properties in Ontario, Coun. Kristyn Wong-Tam said.

Ikea’s opening up in London, ON

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...ondon-ont-store-in-fall-2019/article36559977/

This will be the 15th store in Canada (after new stores open in Halifax and Quebec). With their state goal of up to 24 stores in Canada, it seems like their pick-up points could point to potential sites. In Ontario, they have pick-up points in Whitby and K/W (and London) among others. Makes sense to me to expand in these locations soon, too...

I know they have a storied relationship with Mississauga, but a return to Peel Region would make sense too. Perhaps in Brampton along the 407 somewhere.

Somewhere along Highway 401 between Heartland and Milton probably makes the most sense. But I would love a downtown pick-up location that could mean a short taxi ride or a quick ZipCar trip, rather than going to the suburbs and needing a car or van rental for the better part of a day or having to book a delivery.

They did a pop-up in downtown at least once, and they run a shuttle from CityPlace. I think that's about as urban as they get.

Somewhere along Highway 401 between Heartland and Milton probably makes the most sense. But I would love a downtown pick-up location that could mean a short taxi ride or a quick ZipCar trip, rather than going to the suburbs and needing a car or van rental for the better part of a day or having to book a delivery.

The west GTA is well served by the triangle of IKEAs in Vaughan, Etobicoke and Burlington, but if they added any more to that end of town, then I agree with @ShonTron, as that location would kind of fill in the "gap", to the extent one exists. If, as a lot of people are suggesting online, that IKEA is using these small order and pick-up outlets to test markets (London, Quebec City), it’s possibly the east end of the GTA that will see a full store.

Yea I think the next spot for one is in Durham. A Pickering location could work well.

The Vaughan Store is their largest store in the GTA I believe and serves North GTA fairly well.

I don't think we'll see a store in Barrie - it would be by far the smallest city/CMA population-wise to get a full-size store. Cottage traffic can already easily stop at Vaughan. Newmarket would likely just draw existing customers from the Vaughan and Leslie stores. But who knows. All just guesses.

IKEA has already announced full-line stores in London and Quebec City. Based on CMA size, not to mention where IKEA has chosen to put Order and Pick-up Outlets, I think the next stores (IMHO) will likely be (in no particular order) Durham Region, Kitchener-Waterloo and Victoria, possibly Niagara and Windsor, maybe Saskatoon. I also suspect some cities with existing stores (Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, etc.) may find themselves with new locations.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Back