News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
As of Sept. 1, Type has closed its bookstore on the Danforth. I suspect it was the victim of bad timing -- it opened a year or so ago, just before the economy went south. I understand, however, that they recently expanded their Queen Street store.

Cityplace Pizza Nova

This is hardly worth mentioning, but there is a sign for a Pizza Nova coming to Cityplace Matrix, 365 Front St W, in the spot vacated by the RBC retail when it moved over to Neo at Spadina and Bremner / Fort York a few months ago. Well, at least it will provide an alternative to the odious Pizza Pizza across the street at Element.

There's a tone of retail for lease south of front in many of these new developments - one would hope one day there's enough density to sustain a lot of the commercial space created but I'm not sure if that will ever be the case. Particularly, in the winter, where I'm sure some of these places struggle to get by - quite evident by the reduced hours.

The retail closer to 18 York / ICE / MLSE developments probably has a better chance - also anything in city place because there's very little of it anyway.

Bookstores placed in trendy area always tend to do well.

The issue I have with Victoria's Secret (or any mall lingerie stores) is that they don't sell small band sizes. You don't see anything under a 32...not even online. If you go to La Senza UK, for example, you'll be able to find 30s and sometimes even 28s. Small-framed people have to go to independent stores, which aren't everywhere!

Pages is going to move to a location close to The Gladstone. I don't know why they're being so coy about it. Just move to a place near the goddamned Gladstone. You clearly love it there.

The Nike store north of Eglinton that closed was quickly occupied by what seems to be a furniture company ... not sure if they're permanent though.

Another site further south was filled by what is most likely a temporary Halloween store. A couple of other stores have been leased with "coming soon" signs.

At the same rate, I've noticed more vacancies pop up in the York Mills - Lawrence retail strip.

Also, a site (new construction) just south of the Nike store on the east side of Yonge seems to be completing ... it looks to be a 2 story commercial development. The timing makes no sense to me though, it sat as any empty lot for a very long time ... not sure why they would decide to go ahead and develop given the current market conditions ... maybe cheaper labor / material costs. Not sure if it's retail or if it's even been pre-leased.

Last edited:
There's a tone of retail for lease south of front in many of these new developments - one would hope one day there's enough density to sustain a lot of the commercial space created but I'm not sure if that will ever be the case. Particularly, in the winter, where I'm sure some of these places struggle to get by - quite evident by the reduced hours.

The retail closer to 18 York / ICE / MLSE developments probably has a better chance - also anything in city place because there's very little of it anyway.

I agree - if retail spaces are not for lease, then they are occupied by rather boring businesses. Either necessities (dry cleaner, dental clinic, convenience store), or chain fast-food restaurants.

The *population* density in the area certainly seems quite dense, and most of the units appear to be occupied. I would be interested to know how the density compares with other neighbourhoods with more interesting retail and restaurants (e.g., Danforth/Broadview, Queen West West). Maybe it is the low *retail* density - i.e., not having continuous blocks of storefronts - that turns off pedestrians and prevents the area from becoming a destination for them, and storeowners know this... If so, then I think it is a lost opportunity and the area should have been laid out differently. If you were the owner of a bookstore like Type, would you open a store in Cityplace, and why or why not?

The site on Yonge next to North44 that is under construction is leased to Mexx/Lizz.

Back