8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
BiWay is set to be resurrected in 2019 with new store

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/biway-...7z6rFjlWFg69Tf_cZNUWVhrTFQ2NYsuc47BmRRArq-HlA

Defunct discount chain BiWay is set to make a comeback of sorts in 2019.

BiWay had around 250 shops across the country and operated for more than 30 years before shutting down in 2001.

Retail veteran Mal Coven, 89, who helped build the brand, hopes to resurrect the name with a new 7,500 square feet "BiWay $10 Store" scheduled to open in August in Toronto.

BiWay is a legacy brand,” Coven told CTV News.

“We carried a lot of brands, but never junk. This will be a new concept store with branded, quality goods.”

Coven, who lives in Toronto, hopes the BiWay name will give him a competitive advantage in the new retail landscape.

“One of my rules was that I never bought anything that I would be ashamed to bring home to my family,” Coven said, The new chain concept will see everything in stock sold for $10 or under.

With tens of thousands of dollars worth of goods ready and the backing of investors, Coven aims to open four more stores by the end of 2020.

“We’ve never had preparation like this for any BiWay store,” he told CTV News.

“I’m excited about this. The store will be a success, no question.”

The stores will stock children’s wear, household furnishings, mens and ladies wear, toys, toiletries and food.

Coven, the son of Russian Jewish immigrants, grew up in Boston and his late wife Miriam was from Montreal.

In 1961, he received a lucky break when his brother-in-law Abe Fish invited him to Toronto to become a partner in two stores, which would lead to the creation of BiWay.

Bathurst & Cedarcroft plaza....

Per an email to members, GoodLife claims they are being forced out of their space at 10 Dundas East:

This letter is to inform you that the Toronto Yonge and Dundas Square Club will be closing. Our last day of operations will be on Friday, September 27, 2019 at 6 p.m.

We want you to know that this decision was not something that GoodLife wanted to make. As you know, the real estate market in Toronto is very competitive. The Yonge and Dundas intersection is one of the busiest in Canada and is home to some of the most desirable retail space in the country. Our lease ended and the landlord decided to offer the space to another organization. We were hoping to resolve this issue and only very recently received notice that the property owner had signed an agreement with a new tenant.

Sounds like PR spin. I get the sense that Goodlife is on the downswing - they haven't managed to capitalize on the recent explosion of smaller, urban gyms opening along traditional retail strips. Their sprawling layouts feel dated.

Toronto bar and cocktail supply shop, Cocktail Emporium are opening a new location in Union Station’s Front Street Promenade in early 2020. This will be their third store after the Queen West and Kensington Market locations.

UK Toy Retailer ‘Hamleys’ to Enter Canada with Stores

September 12, 2019

By Craig Patterson

Iconic toy retailer Hamleys, which was founded in London UK in 1760, will be entering the Canadian market by opening stores as part of global expansion. That’s according to news reports from India stating that Reliance Retail, which acquired Hamleys several months ago, plans to open Hamleys stores in the United States as well as in Canada.

UK Toy Retailer ‘Hamleys’ to Enter Canada with Stores

September 12, 2019

By Craig Patterson

Iconic toy retailer Hamleys, which was founded in London UK in 1760, will be entering the Canadian market by opening stores as part of global expansion. That’s according to news reports from India stating that Reliance Retail, which acquired Hamleys several months ago, plans to open Hamleys stores in the United States as well as in Canada.

Well that's exciting! I have very fond memories of visiting the flagship store on Regent Street in London in 1987...it absolutely blew all the toy stores in Toronto away, which is not surprising given our culture of mediocrity. Hopefully this can help change that...

Back