That's unfortunate. There's already a BMO down the street at Bloor & St. George.

With the rise of internet banking the banks have closed many branches in downtown Toronto. Now with the increased construction of downtown condos the banks have reversed their course and are opening more branches. It seems like bank branches are a very popular retail tenant for condos.

That's unfortunate. There's already a BMO down the street at Bloor & St. George.

Unless this branch supercedes that branch--which might make sense, given U of T's slow takeover of the Medical Arts Building...

from today
134.jpg

nice shot UD, but that is the most ridiculous-looking facadectomy perhaps ever in the history of the city......:rolleyes:

if city planners had any cojones they would admit that these facadectomies are misguided, and they result in a mishmash of artistic loose ends, resulting in /nothing/....

Last edited:
If you want to be a modernist or purist snob. Yes, I'm saying snob, because there are many people like myself who believe saving SOME heritage gives MUCH more historical context (if superficially) to an area, than removing the old structure entirely. I like what they did here, and it gives a focal point to the courtyard.

Seeing this end result, it would've been better shipped off to Guildwood Park. There's absolutely no attempt at even trying to make it look somewhat natural.

Hey SP!RE, I'm no snob.....just saying that you can't mate a donkey with a zebra, and get a happy result....I am willing to accept that some of them work occasionally (say, B-A), but this one is just 'down the rabbit hole' material...

If you want to save heritage, then save the whole building, not just a piece...
my 2cents

I really like Shocker's idea of a heritage district. Instead of slapping a disembodied facade onto a modern building, why not rebuild the entire structure somewhere else altogether? That would be the hell outta what we're currently doing with some of our old industrial lands.

Indeed - would it have been that difficult to take down and number the bricks, masonry and applied decoration - on some of the better buildings that were, instead, demolished over the past twenty or thirty years - and put them in storage somewhere until such time as they could be reassembled? More than a few of our old, revered buildings have already been relocated and nobody objects to that.

The placement of the facade is pathetic. The second floor windows align with a section of floor (seen on the exterior as a horizontal rectangular strip of cladding).

What's even more outrageous is that the building was the legendary John Lyle's studio, the architect who designed such landmarks such as our Union Station, the Royal Alexandra Theatre, as well as countless heritage buildings. He was also noteworthy for using Canadian imagery and references to ornament his buildings, while other architects ignored Canada and used the likes of Greek mythology.

Back