What does peak oil have to do with One Bloor? Are we going to have EVERY thread turn into a peak oil thread again?

Really....some noob posts random OT paranoid rantings, and the thread gets derailed.....let's celebrate the start of construction for One Bloor East, which is imminent....

Still no construction, excavation, nothing. Unreal. This isn't going to happen. The next couple of months is going to spook everybody, i.e., stock markets around the world will be tanking, including those in China, and the Chinese will be wanting their rapidly depreciating currency back.

Funny you should mention the stock markets tanking.

I've been watching as the oil market peaked at $112/barrel recently and now the price is heading south. And economic news not just in the states but around the world spells out a similar gloomy conclusion. Demand destruction in the states and the inability of markets to handle prices at this level when previously it took $147/barrel to trigger the financial meltdown.

And I'm with Jeff Rubin as thinking oil was the culprit that triggered that meltdown that no one has really recovered from. Now we've gotten more than a few reports that Saudi Arabia doesn't have any real spare capacity to calm the markets and a quiet desperation has sunk in. Peal Oil has officially arrived and is beginning to wreck havoc on economies.

A lot of insiders from the oil industry, former engineers/geologists have been sending out warning bells for some time trying to alert people to the fact that in their opinion, the future of globalization is over with the the impending oil/energy crisis and the real underlying problem no one wants to talk about, the real elephant in the room.

Population

There is simply too many people on this planet. Think China, India and the States (closing in on 400 million) as examples of runaway populations heading towards collapse. No one is prepared or has a game plan. Save for resource wars. 7 billion people, shrinking resources, the mother of all energy crisis starting to unfold.

Oh yes, there will blood.......

It seems odd that Vultur would make his comeback with two separate accounts but hey, that's UT.

It seems odd that Vultur would make his comeback with two separate accounts but hey, that's UT.

I remember that guy and no, I'm not him or this other guy.

I just responded to his post regarding tanking markets. I've seen far worse and ridiculous sidetracked threads than this though. It could be argued that in a shrinking global economy brought on by declining resources and surplus populations that this amazing pace of condo development in Toronto will shrink as well. Eventually. Only reason I posted my reply was due to the "tanking markets" in the coming months bit.

So back to One Bloor. Obviously it's going ahead seeing as how equipment is on site.

Last edited:
Me, too. Not 'that other guy'. But anyway ... last time the markets tanked in concert all over the world, 1 Bloor East ceased to exist, so just making an observation that history has a tendency to repeat itself.

^And RIM stock plunging. =(

That's what happens when you make products that are inferior to other products out there, price them at the same or a higher price point, and expect that people will buy them. They're the next Palm.

What does peak oil have to do with One Bloor? Are we going to have EVERY thread turn into a peak oil thread again?

It wasn't even the usual suspects ranting about it either. Normally oil prices are somehow linked to Rob Ford being in office...

That's what happens when you make products that are inferior to other products out there, price them at the same or a higher price point, and expect that people will buy them. They're the next Palm.

It wasn't even the usual suspects ranting about it either. Normally oil prices are somehow linked to Rob Ford being in office...

I know, I think it's usually W.K. Lis's favourite topic, no?

I'm confused. When did oil prices become linked with Ford's presence at city hall?

Me, too. Not 'that other guy'. But anyway ... last time the markets tanked in concert all over the world, 1 Bloor East ceased to exist, so just making an observation that history has a tendency to repeat itself.

That's why I responded with my post. Markets seem to heading towards what we experienced a few years back, especially with oil dropping again while economies still not recovered from the last plunge.

That's why I responded with my post. Markets seem to heading towards what we experienced a few years back, especially with oil dropping again while economies still not recovered from the last plunge.

I think the impending market doom as more to do with the housing market still not being back on its feet than it does the price of oil. There's a whole new wave of defaulters about to happen.

I think the impending market doom as more to do with the housing market still not being back on its feet than it does the price of oil. There's a whole new wave of defaulters about to happen.

I would say it's all this and more. Personally I think some very bleak times are ahead.

Uh huh, and you know this how?

I would say it's all this and more. Personally I think some very bleak times are ahead.
I get the impression all your times are bleak. I’ll bet you’re a blast at parties.

Are you two buddies? If not maybe you should meet and discuss your dire observations with each other so none of us are motivated to jump off a bridge.

Really, great stuff – “the impending market doom” – "Oh I think it will be worse than that" - you [fine fellows*] forgot to mention the impending rapture Harold Camping has promised for October 21 and don’t forget the Incan calendar curse where the world ends in 2012 – because the Incans didn’t finish their calendar.

There, feeling better now? Don't worry, I also hear it's going to rain tomorrow - there, did I just see you smile a little?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please save rants and predictions of doom for threads in the politics section of the forum. Any further off topic posts in this thread will be deeeeeeeeleted.

Back