Theres no problem with the ground at that location. In fact, most of Toronto is geologically stable and has excellent soil for tall building construction, hence, why we have so many of them! It is a lot of weight to put on that footprint through

Actually it is proximity of bedrock near the surface that makes tall buildings possible. And yeah it is a lot of weight that is why you need bedrock and why things like
curtain walls are used to lighten the load so the structural members at the bottom of the building can be smaller, and therefore not as costly.

Is this thing actually going up?

For such a large plot of land, it seems pretty empty (construction wise). I mean, they literally have 1 crane there, sitting there to look pretty.

In contrast, on the NW corner at Yonge and Eglinton, there is a dinky lowrise with a much smaller footprint that has extensive construction going on. And you can see construction equipment left everywhere.

This leads me to believe in a cynical way, that One Bloor continues to be stalled or they're waiting for more sales.

This leads me to believe in a cynical way, that One Bloor continues to be stalled or they're waiting for more sales.

The cynicism toward this project has persisted since well before construction even began. I can only guess that it's a manifestation of the fact that this project is so highly anticipated and the fact that the previous proposal for the site fell through. I'm sure that if they were indeed having trouble selling this project, they wouldn't have added an additional 10 floors within the last several months. If I start to hear that they're thinking of reducing the height of the tower back to 70 floors or 65 floors, then I'll start to worry.

Enough of this talk. Do we have to give some of your boots and hardhats to prove the project is actually underway? Do you folks realize it costs money to rent a crane? They are not going to put one up unless they need it.

Enough of this talk. Do we have to give some of your boots and hardhats to prove the project is actually underway? Do you folks realize it costs money to rent a crane? They are not going to put one up unless they need it.

True, but seeing as they have put one up, shouldn't they put it to work?

I have to agree, this is the slowest project in some time. Reminds me of the excruciatingly slow start of "L" Tower.

Lots of concrete being poured today into those numerous pits.

1bo18.jpg

1bo18b.jpg

I think with the complexity of what they are doing, to expect such a huge project to never encounter delays is unreasonable. Lots of stuff happens in the background and Im sure they don't rush here to give us the latest update. Give it time.

Theres no problem with the ground at that location. In fact, most of Toronto is geologically stable and has excellent soil for tall building construction, hence, why we have so many of them! It is a lot of weight to put on that footprint through

I'm no scientist or engineer by any means, but considering the amount of empty space in a building (i.e. airspace between floors) relative to the density of soil and rock, I'd be surprised if most skyscrapers were much heavier than the earth removed in the first place. I'd heard a similar argument bandied about suggesting that all the weight of new skyscraper construction in Asia was responsible for an increase in earthquake activity lately, but as far as I can determine, the weight of even the tallest skyscrapers is pretty inconsequential.

I'm no scientist or engineer by any means, but considering the amount of empty space in a building (i.e. airspace between floors) relative to the density of soil and rock, I'd be surprised if most skyscrapers were much heavier than the earth removed in the first place. I'd heard a similar argument bandied about suggesting that all the weight of new skyscraper construction in Asia was responsible for an increase in earthquake activity lately, but as far as I can determine, the weight of even the tallest skyscrapers is pretty inconsequential.

That's the most ridiculous argument for earthquakes I've ever heard. Would love to know the source where that theory came from..LOL! All the water held above sea level by the Three Gorges Dam (39.3 cubic km, or a mass of 39 trillion kg) only caused a slowing of the Earth's rotation (lengthened our day) by a mere 0.00000006 seconds. The edifices of humanity have infinitesimal effects on the Earth's natural processes.

I' m surprised they want to add more floors at a time when the market by all accounts is softening.

That's the most ridiculous argument for earthquakes I've ever heard. Would love to know the source where that theory came from..LOL! All the water held above sea level by the Three Gorges Dam (39.3 cubic km, or a mass of 39 trillion kg) only caused a slowing of the Earth's rotation (lengthened our day) by a mere 0.00000006 seconds. The edifices of humanity have infinitesimal effects on the Earth's natural processes.

That's quite impressive that we actually affected our planet's rotation, even by a minuscule amount, by building that dam.

Back