The curves sections they've installed on the balcony are a different material, not glass, likely acrylic. Looks pretty good though.
If it means curves I'm all for it. The fact that everything is frosted won't result in a big change for the reflective qualities either (especially considering it's curved).

Alright, I'll bite: anyone notice in the last shot the the fourth panel from the left is crooked? Won't see it from street level, but you'll notice it if it's your balcony.

I quite like the Hyatt at King/Peter. What is so off-putting about it to you?

As for podiums, they work well in a Toronto context, in the more established areas of the city at least. They allow us to preserve the older low-rise built form at street level while adding height and density in a way that doesn't overwhelm the pre-existing stock. Besides, most of Toronto's high-rises belong to the post-war modern and post-modern era where podiums are common. With a few minor exceptions Toronto isn't a city of street-wall canyons like Manhattan, and never will be. So why not embrace the podium as a prominent feature of Toronto's built form?

Here at One Bloor the podium works particularly well. It adds interest to the intersection, providing an architecture-as-landmark destination moment at this end of the Bloor retail stretch, book-ending the ROM Crystal at the other end. The step-backs and tiers provide energy and draw the eye, as will the layered presence of urban activity here, especially at night when lit up. Scores pretty high in my books!

Oh, I thought it was a unanimous agreement that the structure at King/Peter is one of the most unsightly buildings in the city, and a shining example of where PoMo didn't get it right. Anyway, the curves on this kinda remind me of it somewhat.

Re: podiums. Yea I love em. They can work great. But I guess my point was that this one doesn't stand out imo - particularly when considering its prominence (size, location). Seems a bit clunky yet timid, and perhaps a missed opportunity to bring some boldness or contrast to the tower. I guess ultimately I'm not big on curves on many contemporary glass-y buildings.

Alright, I'll bite: anyone notice in the last shot the the fourth panel from the left is crooked? Won't see it from street level, but you'll notice it if it's your balcony.

they are probably going to fix it before they give it to the owners.

I always see UTers pointing out construction faults when it's still the middle of the construction phase. These issues will be addressed later (if not sooner)! It doesn't mean that nobody onsite notices and it doesn't mean that it is permanent. At the end of the project there will be a punch list which lists all the issues that will be resolved before the contractor is given their final payment.

I always see UTers pointing out construction faults when it's still the middle of the construction phase. These issues will be addressed later (if not sooner)! It doesn't mean that nobody onsite notices and it doesn't mean that it is permanent. At the end of the project there will be a punch list which lists all the issues that will be resolved before the contractor is given their final payment.
Hey hey, whoa, alright.
Time-out.jpg

I hear ya. I've always been a 'get it right the first time' kind of guy. But I can accept others do things differently. ;)

I'm still envisioning this without the podium...in my mind it looks far better. The curved balcony glass looks good so far, but I think Aqua will be the better building architecturally.

I quite like the Hyatt at King/Peter. What is so off-putting about it to you?

As for podiums, they work well in a Toronto context, in the more established areas of the city at least. They allow us to preserve the older low-rise built form at street level while adding height and density in a way that doesn't overwhelm the pre-existing stock. Besides, most of Toronto's high-rises belong to the post-war modern and post-modern era where podiums are common. With a few minor exceptions Toronto isn't a city of street-wall canyons like Manhattan, and never will be. So why not embrace the podium as a prominent feature of Toronto's built form?

Here at One Bloor the podium works particularly well. It adds interest to the intersection, providing an architecture-as-landmark destination moment at this end of the Bloor retail stretch, book-ending the ROM Crystal at the other end. The step-backs and tiers provide energy and draw the eye, as will the layered presence of urban activity here, especially at night when lit up. Scores pretty high in my books!

Not sure why so many are against podiums. Podiums allow for more light on the street and less of a claustrophobic feel, especially with neighbouring buildings.

Not sure why so many are against podiums. Podiums allow for more light on the street and less of a claustrophobic feel, especially with neighbouring buildings.

Because some users fetishize Manhattanesque street canyons without considering the various problems that come with them (like constant shadows and brutal wind tunnels). I also personally think there's a manifestation of the average Torontonian's low self-esteem, insofar as some will constantly highlight and demand we emulate aspects of other cities, regardless of whether or not it suits Toronto.

Back