Today:

IMG_0627.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 1,164
Find me a green card and any job that will cover my monthly bills and I'll move there tomorrow

Have you applied for a green card? Any right-thinking patriotic American would give you one.
And with your towering intellect you shouldn't have any problem getting a job, in fact, I think you'd find it easy to make six maybe even seven figures.

Is it Toronto or Canada that you'd be leaving behind?

Follow your dream. I think we can all say that you're a dreamer.

Last edited:
As for the hot dog carts, I've heard they're crap there before so I never tried them during my stays. I guess that's the one thing Toronto does right! However, the "halal guys" food carts are nothing short of incredible. Not only does the lamb gyro taste incredible, it's also insanely cheap - like $3.25 for a pita or $4.50 for a plate with rice+salad. The good news is they're opening a few restaurants in Toronto next year. I just hope the prices and quality are the same as they are in big apple.

On the walk back from the South Street Market to my hotel in the Bowery, I stopped to get a hot dog just outside of the market. Before I even put it in my mouth, I knew it was going to suck. It looked like a Schneiders 10-pack dog in a Dempsters 8-pack bun. It looked and tasted like every lousy backyard barbecue dog I'd ever had (except boiled in water, rather than actually browned).

I thought, "okay, the Market's a bit of a tourist trap, so I understand someone might want to pawn off crap dogs to unsuspecting shlubs like me."

My route back detoured up the south end of Broadway, so feeling my previous dog was some kind of anomaly, I got another near the Woolworth Building. Other than maybe City Hall, it's not a terribly touristy part of Broadway and far enough away from the memorial to not be a viable spot to harvest tourist bucks. But alas, that dog was terrible, too. I've spent my life watching people in movies and TV eat NY dogs like they were the most astounding and convenient tubes of meat on the planet. But they really are terrible. Of all the street food I had there, roasted nuts were the best.

Their hotdogs—like their transit system—are a lot of hype, followed by a lot of disappointment.
Also, Toronto really does have awesome hot dogs.

Have you applied for a green card? Any right-thinking patriotic American would give you one.
And with your towering intellect you shouldn't have any problem getting a job, in fact, I think you'd find it easy to make six maybe even seven figures.

Is it Toronto or Canada that you'd be leaving behind?

Follow your dream. I think we can all say that you're a dreamer.

Huh?

NYC may not be to everyone's taste but there's no denying it is a vibrant, dynamic, exciting, historic and truly great city. As an urban enthusiast who wouldn't want to experience it in the way Kotsy 'imagines'?... and NYC is quintessentially american - for good, bad and ugly - and you cannot separate one from the other. Even America's detractors respect the Big Apple!

None of which is to say that Toronto should emulate it in any way. Toronto will be great one day only by being Toronto. One Bloor with its beautiful podium is a city-building gesture that is a contextual Toronto solution for this location. This is good design that thankfully is being well executed!

Define livable please. I sense some think new York is not livable because it costs more. Square footage, cars and parking cost more. So do basketball tickets and baseball tickets. But if money was no object I would live in new York too.

Define livable please. I sense some think new York is not livable because it costs more. Square footage, cars and parking cost more. So do basketball tickets and baseball tickets. But if money was no object I would live in new York too.
People also make a lot more in NYC, for goodness sake, even a dog walker, walking 3 dogs a day x 5 days, pulls in over $750 bucks a week cash, lol:D

People also make a lot more in NYC, for goodness sake, even a dog walker, walking 3 dogs a day x 5 days, pulls in over $750 bucks a week cash, lol:D
The median household income across New York City stands at $50,711, according to 2010-2012 estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau. That's down from $54,057 in inflation-adjusted dollars for the 2007-2009 period. Mouse or click on neighborhoods, or view the entire United States. http://project.wnyc.org/median-income-nabes/

Toronto $68,110 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Median_household_income_of_cities_in_Canada

Enough on this tangent. Take it to another thread. Further off topic posts will be deleted.

Sorry interchange. I didn't bring it up nor do I think Toronto needs to be new York but saying a place isn't livable without explaining what that means is insulting to new york and its sugar coating torontos deficiencies. I might as well say that I know people who moved from Toronto to Ottawa and moved back because it wasnt livable. Or that I know people from kitchener or hamilton that moved to Toronto and then moved back because they thought Toronto wasnt livable. Kotsy just expressed that he loved NYC and then others decided to weigh in sarcastically or without explanation. I do understand this is a One Bloor East thread though.

What are they doing with the pool? Does it stop operating in the winter? Or does it close halfway?

it'd be awesome if they maintain it over winter with extra heating. The mist/smoke alone would make for a special feel on that roof.

I hope owners of those lower terraces are as enthusiastic with putting up greeneries in their outdoor space.

Maintaining that pool in the dead of winter would be a glorious waste of energy. Talk about massively indifferent opulence. Would it be cool? You bet. Would it cost a fortune over a single winter? Ditto.

Back