I rarely use balconies but I think most people want them. Otherwise, developers would have gotten rid of balconies in order to maximize indoor space (I presume they do some kind of market research).

People want them but what do they use them for? Storage most of the time. I've seen laundry out there too.

The sweeping terraces of the first few floors here might create some activity, but perhaps it will be more evident to Benito's 42nd story view from a neighbouring building than it will be to anyone on their way to the Reference Library. I haven't been to the Pride Parade in a couple years, but from memory there seemed to be more cool vibrancy of activity from above coming from the rooftops and the big wide windows of the heritage buildings than will ever be replicated in the new construction. I had expected the top of podium of the TIFF building, with it's wide staircase rising to an event space up above, to create another level of activity on King St, thought it was designed to especially have a wow factor during the festival, but that never really happened that I've witnessed. I've seen the occasional event happening up there, but they don't seem to create much impression on the ground.

Which planet do you live on?

Apparently not one with a sense of humour.

And I described MY EXACT experiences with balconies. I can not and would not speak about your negative experiences for I am not privy to them nor am I interested... I can only speak about my own.

My relfector Telescope has given me hours of great stargazing from my balcony downtown. You can see TONS of stuff because the sky over the lake is extra dark with low light pollution. You just have to be interested in astronomy and know what to look for.

The rest are facts... except the yelling partner stuff... because obviously I have a perfect relationship.... As you must as well. Because no one ever has arguments with a partner... And if you do you should leave them immediately.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
In theory, but how often do you see a person on a balcony on these buidings? I'd say I see signs of life maybe one out of every twenty times I look up at the side of a large residential building. I have nothing against the balconies here or anywhere else, except that I know I'd probably never venture out on to a 45th story balcony and so sometimes wonder why they're there. But I've never seen a time when I'd describe the activity on them as layers of people, vibrant or bustling.

I believe we were referring more specifically to the terraced balconies of the podium. I could be wrong but I imagine they'd be pretty cool hang-outs for events like Pride, for small gatherings, for people-watching with a glass of wine etc. They are definitely not spaces for the shy or retiring, which is exactly the point.

Developers offer them because people want them and think they will use them. But most don't. A waste of space. I'd rather have that space as part of the interior of the condo. Especially considering how small most units are today. An extra 50 ft of interior space is much preferred.

Developers offer them because people want them and think they will use them. But most don't. A waste of space. I'd rather have that space as part of the interior of the condo. Especially considering how small most units are today. An extra 50 ft of interior space is much preferred.

Plus you're paying property tax and maintenance fees on that balcony that you're not using.

People want them but what do they use them for? Storage most of the time. I've seen laundry out there too.

According to this poll, 91% of Torontonians would want a balcony.

http://www.smrmediaroom.ca/Toronto_Condo_Poll_release.pdf

It will be interesting for a study to explore if people want balconies simply because they are conditioned to believe that balconies are necessary. Or if people have to choose between a balcony and a storage, which one they will pick.

I remember the original 1 Bloor was marketed with a type of balcony with sliding glass that could be used to convert the space into a (semi?) indoor extension of the unit. Was also said it would create unique patterns on the facade of the building. Not sure if that would ever have worked but I like the idea in concept.
I'm not a fan of balconies either. Many people end up storing junk on them and use it as 'storage space' , which doesn't look good from the outside. And when it comes to wrap-around type balconies, I find the actual views experienced from the inside of the unit are cut off and diminished, especially on the vertical.

I would never even consider renting or buying an apartment without a balcony, and I can tell you that I use mine daily from March through November, and frequently even throughout winter.

Plus you're paying property tax and maintenance fees on that balcony that you're not using.

Actually, this is not the case in most condos. Balconies are private use common elements. Well-functioning corporations enforce the balcony clutter rules, as they do blind colours, garbage disposal, etc etc.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 865
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 831
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    828.4 KB · Views: 842
Awesome shots Benito! I am counting 33 storeys in that first image. Hard to believe that this thing has another 42 freakin floors left to build.

After all the complaining of how long this building took to even get to grade {particularly by me}, it's going up like a house on fire now.

Back