I can't wait until the summer time hopefully this will be topping off and the windows get installed quickly. Beautiful building all in all!

I can't wait until the summer time hopefully this will be topping off and the windows get installed quickly. Beautiful building all in all!

Yeah by end of August this baby should be topped out I think. Hopefully all the glass is on by October. We will have a great idea of what this tower will look like very soon. I'm curious how it will all come together.

....No one doubts that 300m+ towers aren't economically viable, it's just simply doubtful Toronto has the need for 300m+ right now..

I'm not getting your point, what do you mean Toronto doesn't "need" a 300m+ tower right now? We have probably 50 buildings under construction currently. If you combined say 5 of them, you would have 45 projects under construction , one of which would be 300m+. Whats the difference?

If the economics work for the developer, why are we shutting them down? The original proposal by Mirvish was most likely quite viable due to the sale of additional units. Now there is not enough units to sell to generate the necessary cashflow for the gallery, yet we think we won something because we forced him to scale down. Meanwhile less than a block or so away, another developer is proposing a project that will include far more units than we snatched away from Mirvish - so we haven't created a reduction in density (as if we needed to) all we did was water down a magnificent project and lose a potentially world class art gallery. Do you see a win here?

I'm not getting your point, what do you mean Toronto doesn't "need" a 300m+ tower right now? We have probably 50 buildings under construction currently. If you combined say 5 of them, you would have 45 projects under construction , one of which would be 300m+. Whats the difference?

If the economics work for the developer, why are we shutting them down? The original proposal by Mirvish was most likely quite viable due to the sale of additional units. Now there is not enough units to sell to generate the necessary cashflow for the gallery, yet we think we won something because we forced him to scale down. Meanwhile less than a block or so away, another developer is proposing a project that will include far more units than we snatched away from Mirvish - so we haven't created a reduction in density (as if we needed to) all we did was water down a magnificent project and lose a potentially world class art gallery. Do you see a win here?

Note that the current MG proposal is actually taller than the original one, and that the decrease in density really has to do with saving PoW Theatre and the unavailability of that site for an additional tower, and not because the tower itself was somehow reduced in scale.

AoD

Pouring cement today. I think for the 43rd floor.

And i suppose perhaps jacking up the crane soon?

Can anyone comment as to if there's some common practice/guideline as to how how high they set the crane when it's time to move up? e.g. Enough clearance to pour x floors or some distance in height from the current floor.

Note that the current MG proposal is actually taller than the original one, and that the decrease in density really has to do with saving PoW Theatre and the unavailability of that site for an additional tower, and not because the tower itself was somehow reduced in scale.

AoD

But it was reduced in scale AND height isn't everything. The 88 story tower is now 92 stories (4 floors) but we lost one of the 3 towers and an art gallery.

That's reduced scale - a compromise - so we could keep a 50 year old warehouse. POW is not a factor as Mirvish himself said he has more theater seats than he can fill and he would build a new one if and when required.

We didn't "win" anything.

You wanted the heritage buildings gone, and you lost. The city is getting a spectacular landmark and an art gallery without giving up heritage buildings or cultural institutions. The city didn't compromise. It got everything it wanted for the public interest in that case, and Toronto will be better off for it.

Jan 17
Lot more up on site
16123923908_2d1bb1c00b_b.jpg

16285528796_f304318272_b.jpg

16309686131_0a8411c91f_b.jpg

16310031741_9484d145bc_b.jpg

16310030841_74b6f54854_b.jpg

16124041940_b53e95519f_b.jpg

16123878758_5622ee0c3b_b.jpg

The only thing I don't like is the balcony railings. The white shows up too much. They should have been painted darker.

The only thing I don't like is the balcony railings. The white shows up too much. They should have been painted darker.

But you'll hardly see them once the fritted glass is in place... Look at the balconies on the podium. Those railings hardly show through the ceramic fritted glass.

I'm trying to imagine this entire tower covered in fritted glass balconies. I don't think there's anything else in Toronto to compare it to... I'm sure it will look good though.

You wanted the heritage buildings gone, and you lost. The city is getting a spectacular landmark and an art gallery without giving up heritage buildings or cultural institutions. The city didn't compromise. It got everything it wanted for the public interest in that case, and Toronto will be better off for it.

Wrong, I would have preferred that the architect be allowed to build his true vision and Mitvish be allowed to build a world class art gallery - if you ask me if that was more important than an old warehouse, my answer would be yes.

I can't wait to see these towers built, I'm quite confident they will be spectacular - but we definitely lost a once in a lifetime opportunity.

But you'll hardly see them once the fritted glass is in place... Look at the balconies on the podium. Those railings hardly show through the ceramic fritted glass.
Hardly show? They show up quite clearly to me, and that's why I made the comment.

Back