Hardly show? They show up quite clearly to me, and that's why I made the comment.

I'm with you, I'm not so sure they haven't made their first mistake with the execution of the balconies.

Any degree to which you can see the balustrades/railings behind the balcony glazing is due to the transparency of the glass itself. Using darker balustrades/railings would simply make them more visible and contrast more greatly with the light-coloured fritted glass.

POW is not a factor as Mirvish himself said he has more theater seats than he can fill and he would build a new one if and when required.

We didn't "win" anything.

We didn't win 'anything'? Really??

As for the art gallery, I'm pretty sure that Mirvish knows better what's in his own business interest. If he wanted/needed a bigger art gallery at the cost of the POW he would have made it happen, one way or another. The 'too many seats' comment was made at an earlier stage in the design's evolution when he was justifying that vision. It may have been a personal dream of his but in the end Mirvish knows where his bread is buttered. Theatre ticket sales go up and down in Toronto as they do anywhere else. Broadway has just experienced record sales over the past year and with the Canadian dollar slumping we can probably expect more American tourists and a return to booming theatre sales in Toronto too.

Regardless, it likely just didn't make sense to knock down an existing arts venue to build another. A bird in hand...

The transparency of the balcony glass will add "layering" to the facade of the tower.
If the balcony glass was opaque, then it would appear the same as the band around the roof of the podium in this shot.
Uniform and bland (a bit like strip mall cladding, but in glass) - Not a good thing.

Jan 17
Lot more up on site

16285528796_f304318272_b.jpg

Last edited:
Not a fan of the off-white colour of the balcony glass. It distracts things. It would have been sleeker if it matched the colour of all the other glass. I'll wait and see of course what the final product looks like.

Not a fan of the off-white colour of the balcony glass. It distracts things. It would have been sleeker if it matched the colour of all the other glass. I'll wait and see of course what the final product looks like.

In One Bloor's case, I think the exception can be made. In order to highlight the design and the 'waves', a high-contrasting balcony glass is the way to go.
In the photo below, imagine if the balcony cladding matched that of the inner skin. The waves would be much less noticeable.

1277171962-one-bloor-model-03.jpg

Source: http://ad009cdnb.archdaily.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/1277171962-one-bloor-model-03.jpg

In One Bloor's case, I think the exception can be made. In order to highlight the design and the 'waves', a high-contrasting balcony glass is the way to go.
In the photo below, imagine if the balcony cladding matched that of the inner skin. The waves would be much less noticeable.

Source: http://ad009cdnb.archdaily.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/1277171962-one-bloor-model-03.jpg

Very very very good point. I always forget about the wave aspect of the project. Not only will we notice this effect from close up, but from far down Bloor Street too.

How typical is it for builders to put down crushed stone on balconies before putting the tiles down. I don\'t think I\'ve seen this before.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 1,122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    874.3 KB · Views: 1,143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 1,121
How typical is it for builders to put down crushed stone on balconies before putting the tiles down. I don\'t think I\'ve seen this before.

I assume you are talking about the lower levels there. Those are terraces not balconies - they also put down pea gravel on terraces as a bedding for the pavers. Balconies are typically left sealed only.

Back