PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
1150 EGLINTON AVE E
Ward 16 - North York District

This is the first residential application (Block 12) for Site Plan Control related to the redevelopment of the former Celestica lands, now known as Crosstown. This application proposes the construction of three towers of 32, 34 and 39 storeys atop a podium ranging from 2 to 5 storeys, a portion of which is the retained facade of the Parkin Building. Also proposed on the site is an 8 storey mid-rise, and 18 3 storey back-to-back townhouses. A POPS connection is proposed through the site, connecting further public Street C with Block 14B, which will be open space. An underground garage will accommodate 957 vehicle parking spaces and 7 care-shares spaces. 1,260 bicycle parking spaces are also proposed, as well as one bike share station.

It's smart to begin Phase 1 with this element of the master scheme.

The rest of the plan can be reconsidered as timelines, attitudes, and transit development (Ontario Line?) progress.

The Crosstown Community definitely has the makings of an interesting development to go along with the future potential of the entire Don Mills & Eg area.

If I were in the market for a new condo or if I were to move away from Davenport/West End, this would be high on my radar.

This phase seems to be a bit too close to the railway tracks for me personally. However, maybe some train enthusiasts would love a west-facing unit.

Last edited:

First thought; really not too bad; contrasts well with the older buildings. Black vs Red/Orange, a nice bit of colour for suburbia with the dark actually making the warmth below pop a bit.

I find this section the site least exciting in as much as its the most isolated from the surrounding area and so won't enhance Eglinton materially. But still, a good start.

One thing though........why all the mowed grass on the slope down to Eglinton when the site abuts a natural ravine area?

Not ideal for nature; not ideal aesthetically (dull as dishwater), and creates a long-term maintenance expense (mowing).

Just forest it, and plant a curated wildflower display.

Imagine 1/3 of that slope in Trilliums in the early spring.

Then mostly ferns over the summer.

Use Jack in the Pulpits as a sedate green flower in early spring to get bright red berries that will pop on the hillside in fall/winter.

Would be gorgeous and low-cost to maintain.

Just sayin.

Last edited:
I wouldn't pay too much attention to the landscaping treatments. Renderers love to portray an idyllic suburban landscape without considering what actually is proposed beyond the footprint of the buildings. The entire area east of the towers is basically a golf course without defined fairways and greens. They could have at minimum ghosted-in the other buildings that are part of the Crosstown Community, even if it was just building massings. Some future purchaser in the east tower is gonna ask "where's the green space I paid a premium to overlook?"

The buildings are quite nice. I really like the treatment of the older buildings and how they contrast with the darker towers. I also like the continuation of the vertical elements from the older buildings up the towers.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the landscaping treatments.....

Good point.

I went and looked at the landscaping plans in the supporting documentation.

It actually says 'ravine stewardship plan to be developed'.

I might be wrong and the render might be misleading, but are those units with tall supports 2-stories? Seems to be a weird decison to have penthouse-style units not at the top.

I might be wrong and the render might be misleading, but are those units with tall supports 2-stories? Seems to be a weird decison to have penthouse-style units not at the top.
You can find two story units around the city that are non penthouse. Usually find them in slightly older buildings.

Back