Even though the environmental benefits would lower heating and cooling costs while providing workers with a place to relax?

I don't like older buildings being "greened". I prefer only new buildings built with the idea of being "green roofed" to have green roofs.

Ah! A principled stand!

Why?

Though there are at least two noteworthy precedents for old roofs being in some way or another "greened" in these environs: Margie Zeidler's 401 Richmond, and the Royal York Hotel...

I don't like older buildings being "greened". I prefer only new buildings built with the idea of being "green roofed" to have green roofs.

The only people that see the roof are people who work in the towers or live in the towers. If I was one of those people I'd rather see green than old school roofing.

PWC%20panorama.jpg

From MJM Architects

Looks like a putting range.

Ah! A principled stand!

Why?

I like most buildings to remain as they were intended by the original designer. I also think trees look ugly on top of buildings. Grass is not bad, but in the renders, it looks like there is more than just some grass on top of the building. It looks like there would be visible changes from the ground. There is some sort of gazebo like structure too.

Nope, sorry, I'm going to need something better than that. By your standard, the AGO should still be neo-classical, the ACC should still be a post-office and the ROM crystal shouldn't exist at all.

I'm going to need a better argument than 'buildings should always look the same.' Buildings are the largest consumers of natural resources and green roofs are but one small way which we can help mitigate that.

And trees look PHENOMINAL on top of buildings. Get a grip.

The ultimate green roof:

3040732933_449df61f71_b.jpg

Heh. I guess that means that Detroit, where trees do grow on top of buildings, must be the green roof capital of North America!

Otherwise, totally agree. As long as an architecturally significant roof is not being flattened to go green, there's no downside to greening flat roofs.

I don't buy the argument kris. The benefits and the aesthetic appeal far outweigh the present status, or shall I say maintaining the look of the rooftop. Besides, how often do you see the rooftop? I had not seen that rooftop until the images were posted, otherwise they are close to non-existent for me.

Furthermore, flat open spaces like this one are prime candidates for greening and not only do wonders to retain rain water run-off, but also assist in the cooling of the city. If you look around at how many flat roofs there are in the city and how many are black tar, you will see that their presence has a considerable effect on the heating up and retention of heat in the city, especially during warmer months.

No, if we could use those green-roofs to collect the rain water and use it for flushing toilets and laundry etc, we would be moving in the right direction.

p5

Nope, sorry, I'm going to need something better than that. By your standard, the AGO should still be neo-classical, the ACC should still be a post-office and the ROM crystal shouldn't exist at all.

I'm going to need a better argument than 'buildings should always look the same.' Buildings are the largest consumers of natural resources and green roofs are but one small way which we can help mitigate that.

I honestly do not care if you think it looks good. I don't, and really that's all there is to say. It's simply my taste is different than yours. That does not make my taste bad, or even wrong. Just different from your own.
So please do not tell me to get a grip over something like this. Go find someone else to troll.

I honestly do not care if you think it looks good. I don't, and really that's all there is to say. It's simply my taste is different than yours. That does not make my taste bad, or even wrong. Just different from your own.
So please do not tell me to get a grip over something like this. Go find someone else to troll.

I think I actually agree with khris on this one. At least in regards to Union Station.

Atta boy! Well put. Even if I personally may or may not agree with you, I will respect your right to your opinion.
Frankly, I am getting a little tired myself of several individuals who have taken it upon themselves to look down their noses and make snide remarks at any 'peon' who does not agree with their so called 'informed' and 'professional?' opinion.
We 'amateurs' as one silly individual chose to refer to me, do need to state our opinion all the more firmly. Your opinions and comments along with all others who choose to post on this forum are of value. You and and many others often have very interesting and diverse thoughts to share.

So hang in there Khris!!;)

Though there are at least two noteworthy precedents for old roofs being in some way or another "greened" in these environs: Margie Zeidler's 401 Richmond, and the Royal York Hotel...

you can also add The Robertson Building at 215 Spadina.

Back