I hate precast to the highest degree possible, but I DO like the overall design of the building though...

Is there any reason why Tridel couldn't have proposed something more like Reve here?

I think Tridel did okay with this one. I would have guessed that they would have built some "faux" style type of building like you see along Sheppard East.

It's sad, really. Tridel has now proven they're capable of embracing decent design (300 Front, Reve), but still insist on rounding out their portfolio with banal crap like this.

Tridelwebmaster, any comments? This architecture is bland, uninspiring, and slightly embarrassing. What will future generations think of our readiness to build poor facsimiles of past styles and clunky pre-cast piles, rather than experiment with new design ideas allowed by modern construction techniques? Even the 1970s "Commie block" apartments were more fashionable and forward thinking than this level of architecture (though, I admittedly like quite a few examples of the '70s apartments that are constantly derided nowadays).

^ It shows a level of disrespect for people in the suburbs, because the further you get from downtown, the worse they allow their designs to be.

One Old Mill is a LEED candidate registered with the Canada Green Building Council to pursue LEED certification by the LEED Green Building Rating System, the most recognized certification system for high performance "green" buildings in North America. Tridel's construction management company, Deltera, has been very involved in the design build of One Old Mill and is working to produce a very high quality building. Deltera has registered 10% of all LEED construction in Canada and has considerable experience and expertise.

We respect everyone's right to have and make an opinion on any of our communities, but we would like to emphasize that this is going to be a high quality, high performance building that will meet Tarion warranty requirements. A great deal of time and resources has been dedicated to the interior space of the common areas and especially to the suite layouts, maximizing space and living areas. The commitment to LEED standards means healthier, more comfortable living for residents as well as more energy efficiency resulting in lower maintenance fees.

People should visit recently completed Tridel communities and also check Tridel's exemplary warranty record with Tarion to get familiar with the Tridel brand.

Below are some recent proofs from our brochure showing the Bloor St W and Riverview intersection. The community will be landscaped on Old Mill Drive, Bloor Street West and Riverview Gardens. The roof features a sky lounge for residents, a green roof and solar thermal panels.

Besides the wealth of local area amenities that the Kingsway and Bloor West Village has to offer, residents will have have:
- fitness centre
-swimming pool with whirlpool
-steam room
-yoga room
-party room
-private dining room
-theatre room
-two guest suites

Thanks for all your comments.

old-mill-rendering-bloor-west-w-logos-1200.jpg

Site Map
site-map-1200.jpg

Ground Floor Amenities
ground-floor-amenities-1200.jpg

Lower Floor Amenities
lower-floor-amenities.jpg

Tridelwebamster - Thanks for posting the renders.

And on a more cheerful note - the local press is reporting the resurrection of the old movie theatre on the block between this manifestation and Jane. The lobby and balcony of the Humber Theatre will open in the next few months, and work on the lower level will commence in the spring. The plan is to restore it to its original look from the 1940's. There is mention of future screening rooms and a restaurant. This is great news as this building has been empty and suffering badly for a number of years. I hope that it works out.

AmJ

It looks like an elegant building. I expected it to be some cheesy quasi-historicist design, but beyond the cornices, the exterior looks modern, if somewhat bland. The fact that the mechanical elements at the top seem to have been nicely integrated into the architecture is a plus. We could use more white modern buildings, instead of so many all-glass buildings.

With few exceptions, Tridel's buildings are known for their quality. But I think Tridel should construct buildings with more interesting architecture outside of downtown. Downtown could use more flamboyant modern condo architecture, too, like L-Tower.

^ Plus I was talking about Toronto.

Now that we have a render of the Bloor side of this project, it's not that bad really - I think junctionist described it quite well as elegant, and thankfully it did not give in too much to the historicist leanings of that neighbourhood.

A couple of questions for Tridelwebmaster:

- Wasn't the original plan to align Riverview Gardens with the South Kingsway?
- Will the second proposed building east of Riverview Gardens have the same architecture?
- Will the currently existing apartment building be demolished?
- Will these buildings have retail at grade?

The problem I have with this argument is that there are a lot of areas of the city which either do not have a historical character, or the historical character has been destroyed by previous development. BWV/South Kingsway is an area that has preserved its character. Many people like the character of the area, and I am sure that Tridel will use this character as a selling point for their building.
Dropping something white, modern and concrete in the middle of an area which is characterised by 1920's mock Tudor (brick and stucco) is disruptive. If Tridel wants to build something large, white, modern and concrete, why not put it in one of the 100's of other areas of the city that do not have a distinct 1920's/30's character? - that leaves almost all of the rest of the city for them to choose from...

My main problem is still the scale of this building though.

My understanding is that this building does not have retail at grade, but the other one will have.

AmJ

Last edited:

Back