Interesting idea having the Yonge line connected to the UP Express. Not sure if it's feasible, but it's interesting.

And plus your GO Rex would already have Dundas West covered.

Very true. Anybody wanting a quick trip from the west end of Bloor-Danforth to downtown could easily transfer onto the Brampton-Markham or the Pearson-Unionville GO REX (which during rush hour would be running about 5 min combined frequencies). That is of course assuming their destination is Union. If their destination is somewhere along the Yonge line in downtown, it would probably be faster to stay on for a couple stations and transfer at Dufferin, and then take the "back way" into downtown via the Yonge Subway (which would run down Dufferin and Lake Shore).

Couldn't the DRL just as easily use the rail corridor from Dundas West to Eglinton?

If the DRL West goes up Dufferin, there is another option. When you look at the area just north of the CP corridor at Dupont & Dufferin, there is a hydro corridor in that area that snakes its way northwest, through Caledonia Park, and then ends up at the Georgetown corridor just north of St. Clair. I think that would be the best routing, because you can use more cut-and-cover construction since it's an existing ROW. Use the Georgetown corridor for the last stretch. Unlike using the rail corridor the entire way, with the hydro corridor ROW option you'd get a pretty decently used station at Lansdowne & Davenport, a good interchange station (St. Clair Streetcar & possibly Barrie GO) at St. Clair West around Prescott, and another at Rogers Rd.

The Union-Pearson Express could evolve into the west leg of a Downtown-Relief-Line. Maybe not now, but when they find out the UP is not a money maker, it could end up having additional stations added to it, after it is electrified.

Personally, I think it's much more likely that it gets integrated into the GO REX system (or equivalent) than into the TTC subway system.

It would be a minor station. 15k people live in the Junction. If every single one of them used the subway every single day it would be an ok ridership station.

I guess you're attached to the Junction given your username but it very clearly wouldn't be a super busy station on walkin ridership alone. The 500 meter walk between Dundas-Keele would deter at most a few hundred daily riders, which hardly justified the cost of diverting from the rail corridor.

The problem with the railway corridor location is that a lot of people would already be walking around 500 m from their homes to Dundas and Keele, not the railway corridor. To get to the railway corridor would be 1 kilometre or more in total for many people.

Not because of the junction. That bus runs up to Steeles and York. The 41E specifically skips over Dundas/Keele so I'm not sure how busy it could be. Keele riders from the north of the city could get dropped off at Mt. Dennis where they could interchange with a DRL and Crosstown. The 40 sees very low ridership as well, so I don't see why the intersection of Keele and Dundas deserves getting a few hundred million blown on it.

There is a fair bit of ridership in the area on the Keele bus. The DRL will be better if underground under a street like Queen or King, and if it's underground there, then an eventual station at Keele and Dundas would make sense.

I was looking through his E-Book and he made this map, very gweed123.

17-1-1.png

P.S. I really doubt this is feasible. Reworking Union like he suggests would involve shutting it down for years and would surely billions of dollars. I get why it's a neat idea, but we're probably going to have to live with the roughly existing structure for some while.

It does look like something I'd propose, hahaha. The "Union X" proposal certainly has merit, but I agree that the stacked option isn't very likely, simply because it would be an engineering nightmare. That's why I've proposed the "New Union" platform for the Yonge line underneath the bus terminal and rail corridor. It would involve connecting to the GO concourse and the streetcar loop, and wouldn't require a complete re-rebuild of Union Subway station. It would require a shutdown of the tracks between Union and King, but that's about it. There are crossovers north of King and west of Union, so it wouldn't be a show-stopper.

I also like the idea of extending the Spadina-Don Mills line 1 stop beyond Eglinton to connect to the future GO Crosstown. Especially if the Eglinton Crosstown station at Leslie is gone, having a connection to the GO system around that area is going to be key.

Federal budget infrastructure money should go to downtown relief line: Stintz

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/2...oney-should-go-to-downtown-relief-line-stintz

Of course, instead of Karen Stintz's sensible plan, Doug Ford (and I guess, by extension, his brother) has another idea.

Fords put a Scarborough subway extension ahead of Downtown Relief Line
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/fords-put-a-scarborough-subway-extension-ahead-of-downtown-relief-line/article10176582/

Actually yes, there is - cost. Especially if you want a DRL that matters - i.e one that goes all the way to Eglinton.

AoD

Last edited:
Of course, instead of Karen Stintz's sensible plan, Doug Ford (and I guess, by extension, his brother) has another idea.

Fords put a Scarborough subway extension ahead of Downtown Relief Line
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/fords-put-a-scarborough-subway-extension-ahead-of-downtown-relief-line/article10176582/

I wish Scarborough were not part of Toronto.
I mean it has a population similar to Vancouver, why not just be on its own. They can build all the subway they want.

As a resident of Scarborough, I and many of us out here want shovels in the ground for the DRL (Yonge Line to Pape) a.s.a.p. so that we do not have to pass through the crammed Yonge/Bloor station during rush hour anymore.

Last edited:
I've had my face in my palm for at least a minute. The sheer stupidity of this man is absolutely incredible. Can't wait till 2016.

You mean 2014..... yaaaaaaaaaaaa they are gone.

I invite the Ford's (and any Scarbrough subway supporters) to take a ride on the Yonge line, south of Finch, during rush hour. They need to be shown in person how useless a "Scarborough Relief Line" is without the DRL.

Last edited:
I invite the Ford's (and any Scarbrough subway supporters) to take a ride on the Yonge line, south of Finch, during rush hour. They need to be shown in person how useless a "Scarborough Relief Line" is without the DRL.

We'll make it easier for them. We'll shoot footage over the course of several days and then post it online so they don't have to get up and ride the line.

Back