Maybe it is the emotional scar of the Gardiner or failure of SRT that make people have an aversion to elevated guideways in this city. I'm hoping Ontario Line will help, but even with that, we are showing a lot of hesitance to run elevated guideway along a road. They shied away from Overlea Rd for somewhat flimsy reasons. I will be curious to see what it looks like along Don Mills, running along the west side and switching to the east side. I think it is extremely noteworthy that Metrolinx has avoided publishing any renderings of what the guideway would look like around here. I see absolutely no reason why the line, if ever extended further north, wouldn't remain elevated.

Stations don't work well down the middle of the road. Having a guideway in the median looks good on a planning map, but when you get to the logistics of building a station, it creates complications. A side-of-road station is much cheaper to build and is shorter in height, so more human in scale.
It looks like Metrolinx is planning for road-side stations. If they continue along Don Mills they may have to swap from east back to west at some points. There is a healthy median that could be used between stations as needed. Above road stations are only needed when trying to build a line through a densely built up area without much of a setback or where it is impractical to buy property for a station (ie, having to knock down tall buildings vs buying 10 SFHs backing onto the road or some of the parking lot of a strip mall).

It looks like Metrolinx is planning for road-side stations. If they continue along Don Mills they may have to swap from east back to west at some points. There is a healthy median that could be used between stations as needed. Above road stations are only needed when trying to build a line through a densely built up area without much of a setback or where it is impractical to buy property for a station (ie, having to knock down tall buildings vs buying 10 SFHs backing onto the road or some of the parking lot of a strip mall).

Hopefully when they cross the road they minimize the number of "bents' .
The Millenium Line in Vancouver uses too many bents and it mars the roadway.
The Canada Line and Evergreen Extension are much better when they cross roadways.

Here's how the Millenium Line crosses from side to middle:

ovnlAvQ.png

Here's how the Evergreen Extension does it - huge difference!

8JBB6Ri.png

Last edited:
Hopefully when they cross the road they minimize the number of "bents' .
The Millenium Line in Vancouver uses too many bents and it mars the roadway.
The Canada Line and Evergreen Extension are much better when they cross roadways.

Here's how the Millenium Line crosses from side to middle:

ovnlAvQ.png

Here's how the Everereen Extension does it - huge difference!

8JBB6Ri.png

If they build the elevated ontario line like the second picture, the nimbys would probably be less apprehensive.

From Councillor Fletcher’s open house:

Your Question: Who will be paying for putting a line underground?

Peter’s Answer: We will be paying for putting the Riverside section underground the same way the rest of the Ontario Line will be paid for - by government funding. Interestingly the most recent Business Case for the line shows it will cost up to $3B less than originally thought which gives financial room for these changes. Peter
Rob Kaufman, Assistant to Peter Tabuns, MPP

Where do those $3B lower costs come from?

Also, Government Funding sounds great. Certainly not my money out of my wallet. Sounds great. But wait, where does any government getting money from? a) printing press b) ???

From Councillor Fletcher’s open house:

Your Question: Who will be paying for putting a line underground?

Peter’s Answer: We will be paying for putting the Riverside section underground the same way the rest of the Ontario Line will be paid for - by government funding. Interestingly the most recent Business Case for the line shows it will cost up to $3B less than originally thought which gives financial room for these changes. Peter
Rob Kaufman, Assistant to Peter Tabuns, MPP

Where do those $3B lower costs come from?

Also, Government Funding sounds great. Certainly not my money out of my wallet. Sounds great. But wait, where does any government getting money from? a) printing press b) ???

Also what could this "putting the Riverside section underground" mean?

Back